PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Software

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Adobe Flash Player not Working Fix

Adobe has decided to start using LSO tracking cookies, which are not deleted, do not expire and is nothing knew, except now, their own cookies are conflicting with each other and a recent Adobe update is causing Flash Player not to work inside of Browsers. If you use Firefox, download the Add-On through the Plug-In Manager called "Better Privacy". This will give you control over the LSO cookies and your Flash Player will work again. If you find that another function, such as a flash game that you play or some log in attempt does not work, you can control what LSO to keep. Nothing that I use has been affected negatively. CCLeaner, AdvancedSystemCare, most other antivirus products do not remove these LSO's, at least no by default.

The other option is to download the Flash Video through "Download Helper" or "FlashGot", all Firefox Plug-Ins. I do not use I.E so can't help you there.

Incidentaly, most I.S.P.'s charge or have a limit on how much can be downloaded. If you watch a Flash Video, it gets added to your monthly quota. If you have a FlashVideo you like, you are beter of downloading it, and just playing it on your computer, this will save you money. I have found KMPlayer to be the best FlashVideo player so far. I have multiples, but like this one. It is free, as most are, one should not have to pay for these things.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...betterprivacy/

The KMPlayer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads
Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Thanks Zathros, I was not aware of these LSO cookies, although I'm not a bit surprised. I use FireFox and I'll be downloading these plug-ins real soon. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bob
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

I was surprised to find some really LSO's in my computer. These can send your name, e-mail account, and other very personal data. If there is ever an exploit vulnerability, these cookies are one of the first things looked at. If there is a direct attack looking for them, you would never know as most people don't even know they are there and virtually nothing removes them in a sweep, which I think is strange.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
For those of us less computer literate, what is an LSO cookie, and how would we identify them?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
For those of us less computer literate, what is an LSO cookie, and how would we identify them?

The reason why the LSO type of cookie is potentially dangerous is because you do not have the option of whether it is installed on your computer or not. Flash is a technology that is used by many web site developers to make the content on their site more interactive. When you install Flash on your system, you are automatically going to store an LSO cookie as well.

The only way that you can avoid this is by not using Flash, meaning that you are going to miss out on a lot of web content. The problem with the LSO cookie being on your computer is that any web site can read the information on them.

With the right Flash run time on their web site, all of that information that you might have picked up with other web sites using LSO is now available for anyone to see. In recent versions of Flash they have tried to stop this but attackers are still able to see the web sites that you have visited recently. Even with that little bit of information an attack pattern can be configured by a smart black hat hacker.

The technology behind cookies is not bad within itself but it can be used by some for evil purposes.
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

EXACTLY!!! Thanks! They don't expire either, which is just not right. B-Manic is right, it isn't a bad thing in a perfect world, and could actually be useful, but it is now proving to be a liability, and Adobe seems to be having problems with their own LSO's causing Flash Players, (theirs and others) to just not work.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thumbs down Sol

I found a third party review that says Piriform CCleaner removes LSOs (Local Shared Objects) but cannot find any documentation of this on a once over of the Piriform web site.

I use CCLeaner and it does a better job purgeing my hard drive of other unwanted files than MS DiskCleaner.

You can remove the LSOs manually, they are .sol files in the Application Data\Macromedia folder of your Windows computer. They are relatively large files, which bothers me since they can contain and transfer a lot of data. I do not want some corporation putting its stuff on my computer without my knowledge, and then accessing those files at will. What they say the cookies do and what they actually do might or might not be the same thing.

I still use Firefox 3.x with FlashBlock installed. FlashBlock at least the last time I checked does not work with Firefox 4.x Blocking flash downloads speeds up your internet experience a lot, and reduces the number of browser crashes I have had.

English speakers, or at least American speakers know exactly what the Macromedia/Adobe people think of their users, when they named their cookie files S.O.L.s.

If you are tired of being s.o.l. from using Windows and having to deal with all the parasites that have sprung up in the windows environment, and think that Steve Job's products are pretentious, overpriced and overrated, take a look at Puppy Linux.

It is free and easy to use, and even if you do not use it as your regular OS, having a Puppy disk handy as an emergency repair OS and recovery tool can be a life saver. When all else fails, Puppy can often transfer all the files out of a brain dead Windows box.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 06-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Piriform's CCLeaner is a great product but it does not remove .LSO's. However, it is a really great program is one I use regularly, with AdvancedSystemCare, which is another great program. These 2 programs compliment each other well. I have never seen one program that can do everything. Neither of these remove .lso's though, if they say they do, then not completely, because BetterPrivacy still finds stuff they didn't. I can't use Linux as it does not run any of the programs I need, and linux can let virus's through that will not affect Linux, but will affect your Windows O/S, unless you are running a separate machine. This website shows how to limit what Adobe stores:
Internet Privacy.LSO: The Flash cookies | Computersight

How to reset your Adobe settings: http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager02.html

Last edited by Zathros; 06-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
With all of this stuff floating around, it is now to the point where if I'm not on the Web like right now, I unplug my modem. If I've got a bunch of work to do in GIMP or Inkscape or printing off saved files, don't need to be on the internet anyway. Besides I like to po Cox since they're always complaining to me about not being able to access my modem. Guess what, I don't want them being able to access my modem, or computer, unless I stand a chance of knowing about it.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 AM

Thank everybody.
Google Adsense