PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
3D file converter

3D Exploration free download. 3D Exploration is easy-to-use viewer for Windows 95, 98 and NT with Explorer-like interface and Open GL hardware accelerator support. It allows you to...

Just thought it might come in handy for some people. Allows conversion to various file formats.
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.23 MB
Hmm, couldn't download it from there. Used the internet wayback machine (archive.org) to get it though.

Can you apply external bmp textures to and obj file with this program and export the finished product as 3ds?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Pretty much just a file converter. Of course with registration it might do more

.Free 3D Exploration download

This is another option that works with even more file extensions. I was originally looking at something to do .peo and .geo from Homeworld. I know there are card models out there but I wanted to look at the relative size relationships which the game fudged to a certain amount

3D Object Converter
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormDragon View Post
Can you apply external bmp textures to and obj file with this program and export the finished product as 3ds?
You can do that in 3ds anyway, and yes it will if you mean change the path to pre-existing textures, but it can't do mapping, 3ds is best for that.

Isn't 3d exploration an old program? Thought it became deep exploration.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Bur 3D is a freebie as long as you keep hitting the remind me key.

The follwing is 2 screen shots from 3D. Both are of the Kushan Ion Cannon Frigate which was my initial interest that sparked the whole thing. One is a shot of all of the surfaces with the exception of shared textures that the IF shares with other shipsd in the game files. The second is a wire frame

When saving either image as a .dxf file that I can open in AutoCAD for extracting diminsions the file opens simply as a wire frame. When I load up the file and do a Zoom Extents command plus a Length Command I find that the total length of the object is over 400 inches long (my preferences are set for inches). Now one of the other ships in the game is often mentioned as being about the size of an F-16 which is around 45 feet long IIRC. And that particular ship, the Tiidani Scout, comes in right at about 44 inches. I've been playing around with doing a 1/72nd Scale Ion Frigate with a couple of other ships along with it for size comparision. As these vessels seem to have been done in 1/12th scale all I have to do is reduce the object size by 1/6th. That would still make the Ion Frigate 66 inches long with the Scout 7.5 inches long. As you can see the Card Models that are out there for this stuff are not done to the same scale due to fitting parts on sheets stock etc. Think of them as the old Box Scale that plastic model companies used to do with ship modles. The hulls have to fit in the standard box sizes so if the molds are 1/369th scale so be it.
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM

hi can this software c0nvert pdo to jpeg format?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM

No, but is does save as 3ds
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 AM

@Mark: How does Bur 3d compare to Sketchup? I tried looking up your Bur 3d, but didn't find it, perhaps your abbreviating it? Your work looks real good so far, I'm looking forward to seeing more.