PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.29 MB
Which painting software should I use?

Hye everyone!

I did like to repaint paper model (aircraft type)..but I always get struggled because I doesn't know which painting software should I use..I'm currently using Paint.Net

*sorry for english error*
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2014, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
You could use Photoshop or Gimp, too. Both open bitmap graphics and import *.pdf files. Gimp is free, PS is not ;-) . Others use Ulead PhotoImpact. If you attempt on editing a kit which comes as *.pdf featuring vector graphics it is more comfortable to open the file(s) in a vector graphic program such as InkScape or CorelDRAW. These are the most common programs which can be recommended. You have to check out the programs and choose the one you like best to achieve your goal.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.29 MB
Thanks for advice your Revell-Fan.. I will take a look on it.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
Can anybody recommend a program for an iMAC? I would like to repaint some of the vehicles as race cars. Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsailor1981 View Post
Can anybody recommend a program for an iMAC? I would like to repaint some of the vehicles as race cars. Thanks
I'm lucky enough to have Photoshop, which I love. It's all I've ever had since v2 I think.
However it is prohibitively expensive unless you are also using it for business or can get the steep student discount.

There are other programs that are well liked by members of this forum and will run on a Mac. I understand some of them are free, yet very powerful (enough to rival Photoshop). Hopefully some of them will chime in as I'm not familiar enough with these other programs to suggest which one.

JoeG
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
inkscape has a version for mac it is free.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Free Photoshop CS2 (Older unsupported version)

Do a google search for Free Photoshop CS2 and go to the Adobe web site.

You WILL have to create an Adobe Account and sign on to the site (Adobe) before you can download them, but it really isn't a big deal. You will get emails about current Adobe deals.........

I do believe they have a MAC version also.

But I have switch to Inkscape for my repaints......... I only use Photoshop to edit raster files so I can import them into Inkscape.

My Drawings
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH631 View Post
Hye everyone!

I did like to repaint paper model (aircraft type)..but I always get struggled because I doesn't know which painting software should I use..I'm currently using Paint.Net

*sorry for english error*
I suppose you understand the difference between raster-based (Paint, Photoshop, GIMP...) and vector-based (Illustrator, Corel Draw!, Inkscape, Canvas, Freehand...) graphic editors? Both types have their strengths and weaknesses; sometimes it's a matter of personal preference, sometimes the intended resolution is more important, and often the original file format is the strongest factor.

For paper models I personally think vector is usually more flexible, except for tweaking or creating textures (even though tools like SVG filters can do some amazing tricks). Try both types and never get locked into one of them - for every job there's always the right tool.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I do all the vector work with Corel Draw then export that as a layer to Photo Paint and do the textures. Using layers you can move things forward and backwards to achieve what you need. After I am pleased with the textures I move them back into Corel Draw and adjust transparencies for panel lines and such (all on separate layers) and print out from there.

Beard
Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.42 GB
OK I admit I am totally confused. I have download inkscape and was playing with it but still can't get it to do what I want. But I will keep trying. Thanks for the info
Google Adsense