PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
John,

Does the Look changer when using XP or 7 only works with those programs that each can run? Meaning will it allow programs that won't run with 7 still run if you're just using the "look" of 7?

Just realized that this computer has Chrome on it, going to try and download Zorin again tonight....Maybe the explorer 11 was the issue when I tried last time.

BTW-do you mind if I supply the link to Zorin on this thread, notice you haven't pasted it yet....

Mike
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Zorin OS 8.1 Home Page

Zorin OS - Home

Tried downloading using IE 11 and had issues, Trying again using Chrome.

Mike
Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
No prob with the link...........

On the Look Changer..........all it does is change how Zorin looks and feels as far as tool and task bars and and locations and such. It doesn't effect programs as far as working or not. I found you can tell Wine which windows the program will work with. So far I have only tried to install older Win XP programs I have used. The default lokk, or at least for my install, was Windows 7.

I have to say that Zorin works......... I mean to say, that I can make my machine have the same programs installed (except for Adobe Illustrator) that was on my old XP machine. And even have it seem to feel like Win XP..... it is different but close enough to live with.

Photoshop, Inkscape, Firefox, Office 2000, and other little programs I used on my XP machine work. It seems very stable........I have notice a few minor things, but I think it is just my lack of knowledge of the OS and just Linux in general. There are difference between it and XP as I've stated, but for those who have not upgraded hardware and want a viable/workable/secure OS this might just be your XP replacement. So far there has been no BSOD!

I will still post any observations as I find them and I would also like for other Linux Users to post tips for all of us Linux Newbies.

I also want to hear from any other that either find Zorin usable or not. I think any information; be it for or against, will help everyone. So please feel free to post up your tips, opinions, questions and especially answers.

As Zorin is based on Ubuntu it seems that anything that works for it will work in Zorin.

I'm going to probably use my "new to me" laptop and Windows 7, but it is nice to know that I can and will have a backup that will work IF I need it. And it's hard for me to get rid of my old friend........ My Dell D630............

john

My Drawings
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Eternal Member

Neat find.......... well at least I think so.

So far I have been using my Zorin laptop with a Microsoft Mouse, and it has acted as just a plain ole mouse in Zorin........ I guess there isn't a linux driver for an OEM Microsoft Mouse to use all the bells and whistles.......go figure!

Anyway I've put that mouse back with my Win 7 laptop and hooked up one of my Logitech wireless mouse I have and guess what?

I noticed a diamond shaped icon with a "?" in the middle show up in the lower right task bar after attaching my mouse. I clicked it to see what that's all about. Well it seems Zorin can estimate the battery level of the mouse! Neat! I've never had that before in any Windows software I've used.

It's nice to know that! Instead of just working along and all of a sudden the mouse quits working because of a dead battery, I now have an idea of what the current charge is in the mouse and if necessary keep a battery handy...........pretty cool!

john

My Drawings
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I can't comment much more, but I'm coming a bit from the same direction. I have to work with Ubuntu for work and prefer Windows (XP and 7) for private purpose.

However, I would suggest not to reject the shell/terminal completely, it has its strong sides, mostly when you use shell scripts. You don't have to learn all the commands and options by heart; using Google for searching "grep", "find", "wget" and so on plus "linux" will lead you to a site called "ubuntuusers" where everything is explained in detail with examples. If you are open to use it, it may save you time and effort in the end, for example for clean-ups that can be automated. But I understand your desire to have everything Windows-like.
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Thorst, this was my comment as well. Some open source programs are VERY flexible, and I have some pretty extensive libraries of commands for specific jobs. Actually easier than remembering the Windows series of button pushes to get the desired job. The file manager I have has an optional shell window, I just copy the appropriate command and paste, and the program starts.

GIMP is my favorite graphics program. It has a 'show what is selected' feature that is a dream, if a bit anti-intuitive. People used to photoshop or paint can start right up, the commands seem pretty similar.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks you guys.

I guess you get used to what you want......... I messed with Unix many, many years ago, and did really like all those commands......... especially since I fat finger the keyboard all the time!

The Zorin option for those of us that Microsoft'ed for most of our PC lives, seems to be the right thing at the right time. Who knows, this my be the trigger that gets the world of XP users into the linux boat and bust it wide open for everyone.

Just remember what you Linux guys take for granted us XP junkies mostly don't have a clue. ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Another thing I have noticed, since I'm using the Win 7 Look for Zorin, I am unable to pin WINE Programs (Windows Programs) to the taskbar........ I'm guessing this is because the Shortcut is not the actual running exe since it must be opened with Wine.......... I hope that makes sense!

john

My Drawings
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Eternal Member

Zorin 9

Wow..........long time since I updated this.

I've downloaded and installed Zorin 9 on another laptop to play around with.

Anyone else using this OS?

If so.... Pros..... Cons

My Drawings
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
I hadn't heard of this version of Linux....though I have used Unbuntu only briefly on an old laptop. I may very well install this OS onto my old XP MCE desktop that is tucked away in the closet.