PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
It seems to me you would need some way of handling flat stock. Most of the sign grade cutters work with roll stock, which present problems itself. I think my cutter could handle card stock, it has up to 500 gram downforce but it would need something behind the stock to protect the strip that the stock slides over. It would probably hurt its feelings as I only use 5 grams of force and strictly use it for creating charcoal patterns. This is a 54 inch plotter cutter.

Beard
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
You're right, Beard, you do need something behind the stock to protect it. The cutter comes with a sticky plastic mat to hold the stock in place while cutting. My cutter has cut 110 lb stock with no problem and could cut thicker stock but I haven't tried.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I use a LASER cutter/engraver. It's not cheap but it does a great job and can also cut mat board, plastic, leather, and wood.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It seems that not just going out and getting the first machine is the correct answer... Seems like I have my work cut out in getting the correct machine :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I don't know much about the Cricut but have done a fair bit of drooling over the Silhouette Cameo cutter. It looks like the best low-budget option, if you have a bit more to spend you should be looking into the Black Cat Cougar or the Silver Bullet (which is a more advanced version of the Black Cat).

As has already been mentioned, there are members of this forum using all of the above and plenty of threads discussing the use, advantages, disadvantages and capabilities of these three cutters. Papercruise uses the Black Cat and enrico63 uses a Silhouette Portrait (smaller than the cameo).

Heres a couple of threads to get you started, this is first post in Enrico's thread, keep reading for more info in later posts: MAZ 537G + semitrailer - scratch build 1/35

This thread by Papercruise has a lot of info on the Black Cat plus some info on the Silhouette as well: Mini review: using a CnC cutter to make and develop paper models

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Tonyceri, a PM member in UK, uses a Silhouette Cameo cutter. I,m sure he wouldn't mind singing it's praises if you ask him. Look for him in THE BIRDS thread, or through his profile ...

PaperModelers.com - View Profile: Tonyceri

I'm sorely tempted, but I don't think I'd give it enough work to justify the cost, and I do find that relaxing back in a comfy armchair whilst snippin' paper with a pair of embroidery scissors is very therapeutic. Need a hoover to hand to clean me and the chair up afterwards though.

Johnny.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
@mperdue-really curious to know what type laser cutter you are using. could you elaborate on the pros and cons of laser cutting? perhaps you could point me toward a thread where you have already talked about it. much thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
@JohnM that is why I never really pursued my Silhouette, I figured out pretty quickly I enjoyed scissors. If I were to try the Eiffel Tower, I would pull it out of the closet, though, with all those tiny triangles.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
DO NOT BUY THE CRICUT EXPRESSION 2 IF YOU WANT TO CUT YOUR OWN DESIGNS.

There is probably a very good reason that it is on sale at a good price right now- Users are unable to create their own design and patterns and use them with this cutter.

Cutting SVG Files with Cricut Cutting Machines | SVGCuts.com Blog

I have a Silhouette Cameo, and have been quite pleased with what I've used it for: Cutting paint masks and decal patterns for model train use. I am using Illustrator CS3, saving as a .svg file and importing that into the Silhouette Studio software.

For one of these projects, I did print the decals with the Silhouette registration marks and used those to locate the printing. Registration was pretty good, but the cut was off by .010 inches or so. I was able to compensate for this by designing the decal in a way to lessen the offsets (pretty easy when it was a black-edged decal going onto a black surface!).

For pre-printed kits, get extra knife blades. Airdave was spot-on in his comments- You can ruin a page/kit pretty quickly because the registration is off.

If you are cutting parts from stock that does not have a pattern (or the alignment of the pattern is not 100 percent critical), these machines would be perfect (especially if you are cutting a large number of parts).

If you need a great deal of precision in where the cuts are in relation to any design or graphic, then hand-cutting is still your best bet (at least in my experience).

Re: Laser cutters, I spent a year working for an architectural modeling studio back around 2000.

You can definitely cut a wider (and thicker) range of materials with a laser. With a laser, you are cutting by burning material away, so proper ventilation is something to keep in mind.

As always, YMMV.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Johnny! It's good to see you back! How are you? (Sorry for the hijack)
Google Adsense