PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Software

Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Useful Software for Paper Modellers

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable, and cloud drives

There are several newly released programs available at portable apps that might be useful to paper model creators.
There are a couple of drawing/paint programs and a colour contrast analyser that might be useful for checking your web site or model instructions for readability.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2016, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.43 MB
Could you be more specific? Or is it some commercial only?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:06 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
This is from the Graphics and Picture tab under Apps

Quote:
Graphics & Pictures

CAD (Computer-Aided Design)

LibreCAD Portable - 2D computer-aided design (CAD) tool
Diagramming
Dia Portable - full-featured diagramming tool
Pencil Project Portable - prototyping and diagramming tool
Image Editors
AniFX Portable (Freeware) - full-featured cursor editor
Caesium Portable - image converter and optimizer
Fotografix Portable (Freeware) - lightweight image editor
FotoSketcher Portable (Freeware) - make art from digital images
GIMP Portable - Photo and Image Editor
Greenfish Icon Editor Pro Portable - icon, cursor, and library editor
IcoFX Portable (Freeware) - full-featured icon editor
Krita Portable - Sketching and painting
LazPaint Portable - Photo and Image Editor
MyPaint Portable - Digital painting and illustration
PhotoFiltre Portable (Freeware) - image editing and effects
PhotoFilmStrip Portable - photo slide show creator
PicPick Portable (Freeware) - screen capture, editor, color picker, and more
PngOptimizer Portable - image converter and optimizer
RawTherapee Portable - advanced raw image processor
Smart Deblur Portable - sharpen out of focus and blurry images
Image Viewers
Cornice Portable - image viewer with slideshow
DiffImg Portable - image comparison tool
IrfanView Portable (Freeware) - lightweight graphic viewer
JPEGView Portable - image viewer and processor
XnView Portable (Freeware) - view, organize and convert photos
Rendering
AndreaMosaic Portable (Freeware) - mosaic image creator
Blender Portable - 3D modelling, animation, rendering, post-production, playback
K-3D Portable - 3D modeling and animation
Fyre Portable - 2D computational artwork
Hot Spot Studio Portable (Freeware) - mix light to create art
Vector Graphics Editors
Inkscape Portable - vector graphics editor
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Got those and need to try one....someday! Will be following with interest.
"Speaking of Win 10, I hate the unzip and the photo and pdf printing in it. How do you get Win 10 to recognize 7Zip? I also need to get Adobe on there.
Sorry to derail the thread"

Does anyone have an answer for this yet?? I have to go through a work around ever time I want to open a zipped file.

https://portableapps.com
Paste the PortableApps Folder from the site above to the root of your Win10 C drive and add a shortcut to your desk top (you can put the folder anywhere, but root of C drive is convenient, and good if you want to save documents with extremely long file names in the Documents folder of the portable apps directory.)
Add 7Zip and one or more of the portable PDF readers (Sumatra, Foxit Reader, PDF Xchange Editor or Viewer, Evince) to the PortableApps Directory and any other of the portable programs you like from the Portable Apps site or from this site;
winPenPack - The Portable Software Collection
The portable programs take up less drive space than Adobe reader, and do a better render than the Win10 PDF viewer.
Winpenpack also has a directory but I have never tried using it on Win10.
Portable programs are not supposed to modify the Win10 directory or install anything on your computer except in their own folder.
The portable programs can run on their own without being in the PortableApps application, but it is easy to have them in one place and to be able to update them with one click (if you have winpenpack programs in the portable apps program, those will have to be updated manually)
If you like the programs you can donate a few dollars to the program developers. The programs are mostly shareware and donationware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donationware).
Some more about portable programs for paper modelers
Useful Software for Paper Modellers
Irfanview is very good for simple processing, conversion and printing of image files.
Google Chrome has a good PDF file creator.
There are portable versions of just about any type of program you will ever need.

I am getting used to using Win10, it is not as horrid as I had feared it would be, and has some interesting features. I copied the ISO file for Puppy Linus into the Win10 Hyper-V application, and cruise the internet using a browser in a virtual Linux program which can be deleted after the browsing session. I have not figured out if it is possible to permanently save anything downloaded inside a virtual OS.
Win10 recognizes all my old printers, it did not recognize old scanners.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 07-14-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
John, I've got 7Zip installed, its just to get anything unzipped I have to open 7z up manually, then in its file window go find the file and then unzip it. With my older OS I could just click on the file and with 7z or rar it would open up automatically. So that's what I'm trying to get it to do.

To be real honest I'm not even sure I understand what you're talking about with this Portable Apps Folder and such. I get lost on what's already on the computer without adding more stuff. Most of the problems I'm having seem to be getting W10 to recognize and work with the programs. And it just seems to hate Nikon cameras.

If there was still support, I'd go back to W2000 or 95 in a minute. The only thing I've seen in W7 or W10 that I like and have used is the snipping tool. Everything else is just excess junk to me.
Google Adsense
Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
................... The only thing I've seen in W7 or W10 that I like and have used is the snipping tool. ....
THANKS for the heads up about the snipping tool!
I never knew it existed, I just tried it, it is a lot easier to use than a screen grab with prt sc/shift, pasting to a graphics program and cropping.

Quote:
To be real honest I'm not even sure I understand what you're talking about with this Portable Apps Folder and such.
The portable apps folder is just a program that holds all your portable programs and any other files you store in it. Since it is "portable", it can be stored on a thumb drive or CD/DVD, so you can take your programs and data and use them on other windows computers without changing the host computer registry.

After a messy problem with file association conflicts, and a trashed registry, I stopped associating most file types with a specific program and open the program first and then use it to open the file.
A long time ago I had programs fight to open a file and then I would get the BSOD. That may no longer be a problem with post Win98 Windows (when did I get so old?), but why take chances? I am cheap, and use a lot of freeware, so I might use several freeware programs one after another, to do something that could be done with just one payware program.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
You're welcome. It is a nice feature.

OK, think I know what you mean. I don't use any other computers so that's not an issue. The only real problems are with zipped files and PDO's were I can't get them to associate so have to open the program, then find the file and open it.

Downloading photos from my camera seems to be a problem primarily with Nikon cameras.