PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 11-16-2016, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
The only problem I have with photomapping is that your graphics are only as good as the photos you have. Not a problem if you can take your own pictures, but a bit harder if you rely on the internet.
1) its better than nothing, and in many cases a lot better than any drawing I can do.
2) I can't figure any other way to get lettering onto a conic section and have it look right.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.53 MB
I've never liked photomapping - as Murph said it's very difficult to get good pictures.

The problem with a one-program-does-it-all idea is that existing specialized programs just work so damn good. There's zero position loss going from nurbs in Rhino to vector in illustrator. Not having to deal with meshes is great too
Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I do use my version of photomapping when I can; mainly engine plates and some markings. But usually after scouring the internet for hours. Especially since I can't get my air museum to take the cowling off of their Wright R-3350 Duplex-Cyclone so I can take pics of the front and sides

Which Program: Draw 3d, paint 3d. unfold?-img_0630.jpg
Old 11-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
The only problem I have with photomapping is that your graphics are only as good as the photos you have. Not a problem if you can take your own pictures, but a bit harder if you rely on the internet.
after the parts are laid out in pepakura, I will do quite a bit of touch-up work on the parts with paint shop pro to fix the images, but the basic print is laid out just that I can fix the parts.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Decided to download and give Rhino 5.0 a work out for the 90 day test period. Interesting, within 3-minutes was able to make an cone and unroll it.

However I don't know how to tell what size it will print at. Guess will need to learn more, which looks fairly easy, has help on side and explains how to use the tools you select, even has a small/short video showing what/how the lesson works.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2016, 03:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
If you do figure out how to tell what size it'll print out at, let me know. That's something I never figured out.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Rhino has a printing scale in the print menu. Use 1:1 and it will print at the scale you made the drawing with. Rhino is great, I never regretted buying it.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
And to relieve all worries include a circumscribing rectangle of known size wot can be measured wiv a steel, wood or plastic ruler off the print out.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Biggest thing for me is getting used to the 4-different views. More like the layout paper space in AutoCAD. Is it possible to just use one view instead of all 4?

Will check out many things in the next few days. The unroll command is easy to use. Not sure how to use the smash yet.

Created a cone, turned it into an elliptical cone, created an edge and then unrolled it. Plan to print it out this morning and see what it looks like built.

Not sure how to add graphics with Rhino, or even shading at his point. But all the images that showed up while installing show some pretty cool designs with great color graphics including chrome wheels on the cars. Wonder if this was done using Rhino or a different program?

Might just ask the support group that sent an email this morning asking how things are going.

Mike
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Biggest thing for me is getting used to the 4-different views. More like the layout paper space in AutoCAD.

Mike
we have no idea what software you are talking about
Google Adsense