PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
MS plan to abandon Paint averted

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/technology/microsoft-paint.html
https://www.wired.com/story/rip-microsoft-paint/

MS (Microsoft) was planning on abandoning Paint until its larger than expected user base protested.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...o0P9Dg4Ab0q.97
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/0...ing-of-support

Paint will not longer be included with Windows, but a "deprecated" version will be available as a download.

MS is pushing Paint 3D, a highly automated computer assisted doodle program whose primary purpose seems to be adding banners, stickers, flowers, and unicorns to selfies.

If you are feeling abandoned, take a look at Paint.net.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 07-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
a highly automated computer assisted doodle program whose primary purpose seems to be adding banners, stickers, flowers, and unicorns to selfies.
Seems to be the way most everything is heading now.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
It was bad enough they changed how it works! I have used Paint on XP,Vista, and Windows7. I tried it on my wife's windows10, and I hated they changes they made. Now this! I recolor, resize, and now starting to design with Paint.
Sorry just really mad at Microsoft. Can’t buy a new computer unless it has windows7, and the chances of that are getting slimmer. Guess I have to baby and keep in parts for this old Vista. Unless I can find the old MS Paint program to install on a new computer.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
It was bad enough they changed how it works! I have used Paint on XP,Vista, and Windows7. I tried it on my wife's windows10, and I hated they changes they made. Now this! I recolor, resize, and now starting to design with Paint.
Sorry just really mad at Microsoft. Can’t buy a new computer unless it has windows7, and the chances of that are getting slimmer. Guess I have to baby and keep in parts for this old Vista. Unless I can find the old MS Paint program to install on a new computer.
My computer guy took my Win 10 computer and set it to mimic Win 7. As far as doing recolors, etc. try Gimp
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I must admit that I found the Gimp could solve most of my requirements, but having never found the time to sit down and study it's 951 page manual, it can be a pig to stumble around in. So, although I used the Gimp often, for any simple manipulations or adjustments I would always head for the easy to understand MS PAINT.

But, since being introduced to PAINT.NET, I can't remember the last time I used MS Paint. PAINT.NET isn't an MS program, it's a FREE image manipulation program from Softonic ..... https://paint-net.en.softonic.com/ It's nowhere near as complex as Photoshop or the GIMP, but far superior to , and as easy to use as MS Paint. And it can do many of the manipulations that I used to turn to the GIMP for.

I haven't totally deserted the GIMP though, and one day I WILL sit down and read that manual. I've got as far as having the whole thing assembled into one multi-page (951 of them).pdf file, but I hate reading such things on-screen, and trusting my printer to do a run of that many double sided pages without miss feeding a few sheets is askin' fer trouble. I'd have to print it in a series of 30 page booklets. It seems happy to churn them out, but the text in a picture can be difficult to read on A5 size pages. I suppose I could try printing double sided A4 sheets, a few at a time, but 951 pages ...

Bottom line being though ... If MS paint does disappear from my Win10 PC in an update, I will be going to Win Store to replace it quite promptly. I might not use it very often now, but I'll be more comfortable knowing it's sill there when I need it. For simple pixel editing in a .jpg or bitmap nothing is as easy to use as MS paint.

Last edited by JohnM; 07-25-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Yeah I read that MS wants to get out of the OS business since that is now less than 30% of it's profits.......... Windows 7 will be the LAST Microsoft OS I ever will use....... when it dies I'll go to Linux or (shudder) Apple..........or just use my Android tablet to surf........ and keep a Win7 machine offline

Thanks for the tip about PAINT.NET I'll download it and give it a look see.

My Drawings
Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Yeah I read that MS wants to get out of the OS business since that is now less than 30% of it's profits.......... Windows 7 will be the LAST Microsoft OS I ever will use....... when it dies I'll go to Linux or (shudder) Apple..........or just use my Android tablet to surf........ and keep a Win7 machine offline

Thanks for the tip about PAINT.NET I'll download it and give it a look see.
Alway nice to have options!

John, without malice (or wanting to start any bashing), why the shudder reaction to Apple/ Just curious, that's all.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
tried it once..........long time ago. Couldn't wrap my brain around it and HATED the fact that you had to buy apple stuff and only apple stuff. Now that it runs on Intel I may have to give it a try again.

My Drawings
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
tried it once..........long time ago. Couldn't wrap my brain around it and HATED the fact that you had to buy apple stuff and only apple stuff. Now that it runs on Intel I may have to give it a try again.
Wow, that WAS a long time ago (long enough to be "tyme", perhaps?).

I do own and use a couple of Mac computers, both off-the-shelf and roll-your-own varieties.

If it weren't for the need to run Adobe Illustrator and my Silhouette Cameo, I probably would have went full Linux years ago.

(Yes, I know both the above mentioned also work with Windows, but I already had my Mac software and didn't want to start over.)

Bummer about MS Paint.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have Ubuntu burned and at the ready!!
Actually already installed, but haven't done much with it yet.
Google Adsense