PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I don't still have any CBM stuff as I sold it on within days of getting my first PC. I had one of the only three CBM hard drives imported into UK, and the GEOS(UK) forum members were all fighting over it. I just said "First to knock on me door can have it." One hour later George knocked and offered me £50 for it. "Fifty Quid ? You can take the lot for that George" and he did.Two C=64s, two and a half C=128s,, Three monitors (Old TVs),Loads of cables and software, and the Hard drive too of course.

However ... on top of a wardrobe in the spare room ... I do still have that first PC ... along with all it's peripherals and the extensive CD software that came packaged with it. There's even an almost unused 15" moniter which replaced a duff one on warenttee, but I'd bought a couple of SH 18" ones before the replacement came in. Useless to anyone but a museum now, but I originally paid out £3000 for it, so it ain't gonna go in the tip, is it? Must be six or seven years now since it was last set up, but it was working fine and fun to play with for a week or two. Must find a spot to set it up again. I'm sure it will fascinate the the Rugrats for an hour or two, before they go back to their smart-phones. They're all teenagers now.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John, glad all is fine.

It does P2P to upgrade other machines, which is scary if you have capped Internet or a slow speed, as it will chug up quite a lot of your bandwidth.

If you think you are going slow, I posted here about how to fix it.....

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/567489-post1.html
Old 10-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, my laptop running W10 updated to the newest version. Took for ever to complete. Checked the security and personalization settings I had chosen to try to curtail some of the more nefarious features MS decided the whole known Universe needed and found them still to my liking as much as they can be considering the source.
Always and adventure.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
So . . . Anybody had the Sinclair? Load the programs with a cassette recorder?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Eternal Member

Me. I had a Sinclair - state of the art keyboard.

And a BBC Acorn Atom - way before its time with the programs on chips!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:48 PM

My C=64 loaded from cassette tapes when I first got it. I didn't "upgrade" to floppy disks until I got my first C=128. Adding the hard-drive moved me into Guru status in UK, but it was essential to advance into the GEOS fraternity.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I must admit that I don't use many fonts nowadays, so I wouldn't notice them disappearing.

My other PC is taking all day to update. Mind you, it doesn't get used very often, so there are numerous other programs all trying to update at the same time. I've managed to stop all the 10bit apps from updating so that MS can do it's thing unopposed, but I know for sure that when Windows needs to reboot to complete, all the 10bit stuff will crowd back in 'cos most of it is linked to boot or look for updates on start up.

Life was much less complicated back in the CBM 64 days, eh? Mind you, even back then I was running a CBM 128, just to complicate things a bit. Anyone else here old enough to remember GEOS? I was so far into it that I didn't even look at a PC until Win 98 came out.
Loved my Commodore 128 with Basic 7 and the GEOS operating shell. Prepared me to easily adapt to Apple's GUI.
Miss my 128. Spent many hours writing, debugging and playing games on it. Also liked a program called CAD 128 (I think).

JoeG
Old 10-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Since we are reminiscing, my first computer was a Kaypro with a dot-matrix printer, which got me through the Army War College 1984-86. Replaced it with an IBM laptop when I got to Japan in 1987.

Wasn't printing out paper models in those days, although I built a few that I bought from Lou at PMI.

Don
Old 10-15-2017, 08:34 AM

My C=64 claim to fame ... At a base in Cyprus, our Techs had been installing and testing a new 'Digital' telephone exchange for some months, and somewhat neglecting the old Strowger mechanical Exchange next door. We TeleMechs were only involved with external plant and cables.

Eventually they declared the new exchange 'Ready to go', running it in parallel for a weeks trial, then taking the plunge they switched out the Strowjer completely. It worked fine, and to the best of my knowledge it probably still is, so the Strowjer was dismantled for repatriation to UK. ... BUT ... Come the end of the next month when they had to download all the call records in order to put out the phone bills, they suddenly realised that all the info needed was stored on one or more of the three Winchester hard drives that were now boxed up awaiting shipment. Long story short ... The New exchange's PC couldn't connect to a Winchester, so no one got a bill for two months. (Lots of happy people and six embarrassed Techs

The Winchesters were still sat in my store a month later. I queried this, and was told that they are deemed obsolete and not worth the cost of sending back, so tongue in cheek, I asked if I could have one, and was given the OK to take it home. It went into my workshop first though, and whilst I was attempting to re-format it for use with my C=64, I discovered that I could access all the stored call data, so I printed it all off. On presenting it to the Boss Tech he went ballistic ... burned the print out and seized all the Winchesters into secure storage. Along with dire threats I was sworn to secrecy, as God knows how many Tech heads would roll if 'THEY' ever found out that this 'Irretrievable' data had actually been found. Especially if they found out that it had been retrieved by a T.Mech. using a C=64. "You Mukkynecks aren't supposed to understand these electronical things. Please go back to playing with yer spanners, and say nothing to nobody."
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Eternal Member

Excellent story John. Thank you!