PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Ah, nostalgia

Still kick myself for giving away the old VIC-20. Had the datasette and the switch for the tv and boxes of cassettes with programs. Spent hours finding the one wrong number in the machine language after my son would spend hours typing in from the magazines. Then went to 64 and the earliest Apples and finally a PC when the son went to university and found out they didn't use Apples.

He now designs hardware and software for Newbridge-then-Alcatel-then-Nokia. The daughter does post-grad geomatics for marine mammal and fisheries stuff. I am proud. I like to think it is all because we spent a month of wages at the Hudson Bay store for that VIC-20 .

And Dad builds paper airplanes.

John

Last edited by yukonjohn; 10-15-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I switched on my tablet today, with the intention of cleaning it up as much as possible to make room for the upcoming Win10 update 1809, which is reputed to need a lot of space to install. I ran Advanced System Care first, but that informed me it wanted to update from v11 to v12 .... so I let it.

After installing v12 went straight into an analysis ... The box is ticked to do an auto fix after analysis, so it went straight into fix mode. One of the categories is 'System Weaknesses' It had only flagged up one ... You'll never guess what it was ... The Win10 update 1809, which kickstarted the install.

However, I'm happy to report that two hours later it completed, and as far as I can tell it seems to be working fine. So the pre-warnings about scrubbing the decks to make room for the update to run would seem to be alarmist panic.

I have now taken the plunge and allowed my primary PC to upgrade too, and am happy to report that also seems to have been an uneventful two hours that seem to have been successful.

I also successfully updated CCleaner to it's latest version on both computers, but PLEASE can someone tell me how to update CCleaner without it also installing Avast Free Antivirus ? It always seems to instal alongside CCleaner updates, and it's a right pain to uninstal again. I always do a custom install, and there was no mention of Avast during it, but on completion Advanced System Care flags up a new instal of Avast. Talk about swings and roundabouts to uninstal it again though.

I'm gonna wait a day or so before switching on the laptop though. That always seems the more likely to hiccup on upgrades, and I don't feel like another fight with Avast today.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Just seen an article on the update. Glad to hear yours' went ok. The next to the last small one a couple of weeks ago wouldn't reboot my computer and eventually had to do a reinstall on W10 and lost bunches of stuff. 2 sessions with Microsoft Tech to get things working and retrieve most of my data. The big one last April froze it up and that was about a 6 hour session with MS Tech. So anxiously awaiting with trepidation to see what happens with this one. Not really a computer person other then knowing were the on switch is and which icons to click to get to my software or internet.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
From a computer type with 5+ years experience my best advice is to just buy a new system with the latest software. With computers being so cheap your time has to worth something. Besides leaves you more time to build.

'Course being cheap by nature we paper modelers seldom take the path of least resistance!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Wise advice Michael - if you can afford a new one.

It's good advice because a lot of software is geared to the newer hardware, on which it quite simply runs better...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Well the rarely used, slow, old HP all-in-one PC out in the conservatory took all day about it, but eventually it came through the 1809 upgrade OK. It took a lot of persuading to actually download the upgrade at all, but once it got going it puttered around for five more hours before completeing.

The laptop behaved faultlessly and upgraded itself in two hours ... BUT ... on rebooting the final time to check the boot time ... it bricked, and I'm now fighting the recovery options. Not having much luck so far, so I think I'll have to think along the lines of booting from a USB key to rebuild windows. I wonder if the 1809 version is available from MS yet?
Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 AM

Well now ... the Laptop is sorted, but by a bit of a roundabout method.

None of the MS suggestions worked for me. It just kept going round in circles to end up back at the Hard drive broken screen, so as I said before ... off to see if MS offer the 1809 version as a download yet. Nope, only the previous 1803 is on offer.

Then a possible soloution occured to me. Back when the 1803 upgrade came out, after a successful install I proceeded to clone the installed 120Gb HDD onto a 2Tb HDD, and swapped them over to give me vastly expanded storage space. The old 120Gb was put to one side, with thoughts of maybe using it in a caddy as a portable.

So I swapped the Hard drives back over and BINGO ... Laptop resurected to the 1803 version. Of course every app and prog installed on it demanded to be updated, so I steadilly worked through them one at a time, carefully steering clear of any Windows updates and leaving the Advanced System Care upgrade from v11 to v12 until last.

As previously, on running ASC.12 it picked up and ran the Win10 upgrades, but this time it all went smoothly and I now have a working v1809 operating system on the Laptop. "Phew".

I suppose the next step is to recover all my files from the 2Tb drive, reformat it, do another clone job and swap them back again. Or ... I might just put it in a caddy and keep it alongside the Laptop as a store.

Oh yeah ... along the way I found that elusive pre-ticked box that installs Avast along with the CCleaner update. It's at the very bottom of the very first screen of the CC update.

Last edited by JohnM; 10-05-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
MichaelS, not sure what you consider cheap. The one I have now was close to $1K when I bought it. Occasionally when I take a look at what's available it still looks like around that range. The only software besides internet browser that I really run is GIMP. Occasionally will play with trying to learn a little bit more Inkscape. Which is why I get really irritated with all the junk they stuff in the new updates, other then this and a couple of other hobby forums and e-mail, about the only other thing I do is store and edit photos.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
This whole situation reinforces why Windows 10 is NOT the primary OS on any of my systems. On my primary dual boot machine, Windows 8.1 educational is the primary on my bootloader menu and Windows 10 Educational is secondary and is only for tooling around just to see what headaches Microsoft can create for me to solve. On my other machine, I boot to Windows 7 pro first, then Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is last and least if necessary. Haven't run a dedicated windows 10 machine since the whole Creator's pack update fiasco and I have no intention of changing until support runs out in 2023....
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Windows 10 runs wonderfully on recent machines.

Both my desktop and my Lenovo Windows tablet are fairly recent production machines, and have accepted
all the Win10 updates without any problem at all, and the devices are running perfectly.
Actually the changes are more noticeable in the portable device.

So from experience I can only say good things about the system, and certainly 1809 has many nice things.

But of course, newer machines have more capabilities and present less problems with the recent updates.

For older machines I always recommend a complete fresh install. But there is a limit to what can be done.

My previous laptop still uses the original Win10 (without updates), and it will remain like that.
It previously had worked with WinXp for many years. But it is now behind in terms of RAM, processor
and drive space compared to more recent laptops. So I see no point at all in updating it to a newer OS it can't handle,
and for the basic things like surfing the web, basic Office apps, and internet connectivity it still good.
So it remains as an emergency back-up machine, just in case.

Google Adsense