PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Hee hee ... That's what I started out to do ... Thin out and back up before the update arrives. ... but it stuck it's oar in while I was doing it. So tread carefully Kevin, or to be on the safe side ... pull the connection to your router out.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
well I'm going against myself and have ordered a tablet with Win 10 on it for me and the wife. I said Win 7 was going to be it for me, but I guess I'll give this a try and see if I can stand it or not...............IF it passes I'll MAYBE consider building a new system with Win 10........... never thought I would say that. :-(

My Drawings
Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Tablets are notorious for having low capacity memory chips John. Which makes them a bit risky with Win10. It's not so much that the OS takes up most of it, but when there's a major upgrade like 1803 (April) or the latest 1809 (Oct) you need enough memory to carry both the old and new OS plus room for the installer. Even when the upgrade is successful, Windows doesn't delete the superceeded OS. It is filed as "OLD" and is kept available so that you can wind back to the old system should there be a problem with the new one (or even if you just don't like it). Once you are happy with the upgrade this "OLD" file can be deleted to clear a huge chunk of memory, but if you do ... there's no way back.

So I reccomend that you order the maximum memory offered with the tablet, and then plug in the biggest HD card it will take too. It's very unlikely that you will be able to open up the tablet to fit bigger memory chips. I have added a 128Mb SD card to mine. It is possible to get the SD card recognised as part of the base :C memory, but I've not sussed out how to do this yet. For now I just store and install as much as possible on the SD card as :D. and I also have a portable HDD available for back ups and document storage.

Wishing you lots of luck and satifaction with your tablet. I don't agree with the way MS is going about forcing this new system on us either, but in my case I resisted upgrading from XP way too long. When I finally upped to 7 (Which I was very happy with) it was only a month or so later when 10 appeared on the scene. So I just thought "What the Hell... it's free" so I carried on the motion, and upgraded as soon as it was offered. It's not been a totally smooth ride, but I'm glad I took the step.

T'is the "way to go" MS are insisting, so who am I to fight progress? I can express my rebellion against modernity in other ways ... I just bought a 1968 Triumph Herald, and have every intention of writing "Spirit of the Sixties" along her 'go-faster stripes'.

PS: If you really don't get on with 10, it IS possible to clear it and install 7 on the tablet, but that's a bit drastic and you'll lose all pre-installed apps that came with it.

Last edited by JohnM; 10-09-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Dang Mr Bowden. Here I was thinking seriously about asking you to build me a Win7 unit too as mine is starting to totter around a bit. Guess I waited a bit too long.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I don't agree with the way MS is going about forcing this new system on us either...
That's one of my chief complaints other than the update issues, which in my humble opinion went south right after the roll out of the 1703 update quickly followed by 1709 which only mucked things up even worse. The French and the EU governments are already up in arms over the oppressive data collection and browser nags built into the thing and some tech blogs were reporting that test versions of 1809 warned users not to install Chrome or Firefox but instead use Edge as the default web browser. I haven't had a chance to catch up on the updates on my test partition to see if this is indeed the case, but like I said I'll happily take my chances with 8.1 until I have no other choice!

I hope John's purchase of his tablet goes smooth as well. My wife picked up an Acer Switch 10 2-in-1 running the Intel Atom x5 x5-Z8350 Quad-core, which is the same processor as the Lenovo Miix and the ASUS Transformer. Needless to say, she wasn't happy with it until I rolled the OS back from 10...
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
That reminds me - I need to back up!

Which I do regularly, having learnt the hard way.
There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who backup, and those who wish they would have.

Been a member of both camps...
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Dang Mr Bowden. Here I was thinking seriously about asking you to build me a Win7 unit too as mine is starting to totter around a bit. Guess I waited a bit too long.
No Win 7 will be supported until 2020..........possible 2023 for a fee yet to be determined, but I imagine a butt load, only business user can afford. Even after the 2020 support dies (security updates) it will be several years before Win 7 starts to get a little long in the tooth. Right now there are really good buys on some pretty Hot Rod laptops, and SSD drives have come down a lot, and for Win 7 these make a machine fly like an eagle. My desktop and working laptop WILL be Win7 for a while. I just thought for the money on the tablets....playing with Win 10 would answer some questions for me.

JohnM........... Lenovo Thinkpad 2 with 2 GB RAM (maxed out) and 64 GB SSD drive (small but sufficient)........ a bit older model but was highly rated when it can out at around $750.00.......... and I got 2 for $133.00 US shipped, a pretty good deal allowing me to play around for not too much moo-la............ Dual core 1.8 Atom processors so it won't be a hot rod, but should suit the wife and let me play around with Win 10 (pre-loaded). She's using a Dell tablet with Android that's a couple versions back from the latest and can not be upgraded because Dell wants folks to buy a new one.....:-(

My Drawings
Old 10-10-2018, 04:41 AM

I have chemo damaged finger tips and touch surfaces just don't work for me. I even have to use a stylus to operate my smart phone. Long time ago I bought a Windows phone 'cos no one has ever taught me how to use Android, but I didn't get on with it due to the fingers issue, and it got stuffed in a drawer somewhere. I've now got a Samsung S5, but I still don't get on with it very well. I CAN make and recieve phone calls using the stylus, but I don't have much of a clue about the 50,000 other things it seems to want to do.

Anyhow, as to my tablet ... With the thought that I guess I'm gonna have to at least try to join in the 21st century comunity, I was tempted to buy a Win10 tablet that came complete with a detachable keyboard for $54 ... brand new. From China of course. It's a Lynx 1010. Unheard of back then, but I believe the later models are getting quite popular worldwide now, and needless to say, the price has gone much higher. It has an Atom CPU and a small capacity SSD, so I have to be carefull not to over load it, but with a 128Mb SD card inserted and a 2TB HDD alongside in a USB caddy it does everything I've asked of it. Good for travelling, but there's no way it will ever take the place of my i7 powered home PC or my i5 laptop.

Appologies by the way for the misspelling and duff grammer creeping into my typing. Something seems to have switched off the grammer & spellchecker facillities. Probably a Win10 update anomally, but I'll have to investigate further before I blame them.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who backup, and those who wish they would have.

Been a member of both camps...
Oh no Sgoti. There is a third group that is surprisingly quite large, and I am aquainted with many of them. The closest being my Wife. These people still quite determinedly refuse to aknowledge the computer scene at all, and just won't touch them. My Wife occasionally asks if there are any new pictures of the Rugrats on Facebook, or asks if I can order something she's seen in a magazine, but doesn't want to know about using any sort of computer herself.

My Son gave her an old Android tablet a while back and set it up so she could play a couple of games on it (Solitaire & Coindozer). She plays with it every day, but beyond switching it on and selecting a game, she does nothing else with it other than re-charge it. I don't understand Android myself, so I've never got involved with it. If it stops doing what she wants it to do it just gets pushed aside until the next time my Son calls in. He somehow bullies it back to life and carries out all the overdue updates, but even he is cursing the thing because it's so obsolete and can't be upgraded to the level he's now more used to.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
And there is also a fourth group for those keeping count...those who DO backup regularly but forget where they backed it up to! Can't recall how many times I've asked someone for their last backup only to watch them scratch their head then begin that futile search for the backup image or discs

Now here's a curious question. How many here blow out their computer with an air can periodically? Just curious since Symantec has officially designated every February 8th as National Clean out Your Computer day...

Last edited by Gman93643; 10-10-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Google Adsense