PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-11-2017, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Win 10 updates

My primary computer runs Win10 pro 32bit on a 64bit i7 CPU. I haven't quite figured how to up it to run Win10 pro 64bit without losing some of the installed Free (Giveawayoftheday)software, but I am working towards it.

I try to keep it's software as up to date as possible. So everything available is ticked off to auto-download all updates, but NOT to install them until I say so. I'm glad to say that, unlike many people, none of the Microsoft updates have caused me any problems so far.

As I shut down last night I discovered that the big MS Fall upgrade had downloaded, so I let it install unattended overnight. Living dangerously I know, but it all seems to have gone smoothly and my congested ol' pooter has moved into rocket mode again. It's like I'd done a complete re-install of the OS, so I'm guessin' that that's virtually what MS have done with this update.

So I guess today's exercise will be to allow the update to run on my Tablet and secondary PC. That runs Win10 pro 64bit already though on an i5 CPU, so the update may not be on offer for that yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
we came across some weird conflict with Skype (that comes with the upgrade). The PC ran very slow, shutting off Skype put things right.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
My problem is the updates eats fonts. After every major update I find that I have lost the majority of my installed fonts, and seeing as I make signs for a living, that is not a good thing. I have resorted to putting all of my fonts on a zip drive so I can install the missing ones as I need them.

Beard
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I lost fonts, too, but I thought that it was tied to the Firefox update. Now I know
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I must admit that I don't use many fonts nowadays, so I wouldn't notice them disappearing.

My other PC is taking all day to update. Mind you, it doesn't get used very often, so there are numerous other programs all trying to update at the same time. I've managed to stop all the 10bit apps from updating so that MS can do it's thing unopposed, but I know for sure that when Windows needs to reboot to complete, all the 10bit stuff will crowd back in 'cos most of it is linked to boot or look for updates on start up.

Life was much less complicated back in the CBM 64 days, eh? Mind you, even back then I was running a CBM 128, just to complicate things a bit. Anyone else here old enough to remember GEOS? I was so far into it that I didn't even look at a PC until Win 98 came out.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Ahhh yes. The C64. My introduction to the world of "super computing", to the home user. I still remember playing many flying games on the old 5.25" floppy!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Graphic Environment Operating System guaranteed to keep Commodore computers on the cutting edge for decades to come.

Do you remember Compute!'s Gazette magazine. You could get the standard subscription with the programs that you typed in yourself, or the deluxe subscription with a floppy disk included that had the programs on the disk. Plug and play!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Life was much less complicated back in the CBM 64 days, eh? Mind you, even back then I was running a CBM 128, just to complicate things a bit. Anyone else here old enough to remember GEOS? I was so far into it that I didn't even look at a PC until Win 98 came out.
In my storage place above my den where I store stuff I'll never use again I have the 1115 AppleII built. When purchased it came with 16 K of memory, the processor (6502) operated at a blazing .98 megahertz. it could generate 4 colors if you counted white and integer based Basic built in. There is fair chance that Waz put it together himself. I purchased it in 1977. I retired it around 1982 at that time I ran a Z80 co-processor in it (to run CPM) had bumped up the RAM to 128 K and had a 80 column video card and a full keyboard, the hard drive was a whopping 2 mega byte. and the monitor had been upgraded to a floating point basic.

Jim Nunn
Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
..... I have resorted to putting all of my fonts on a zip drive ....
Do you still have a functional Iomega Zip Drive?
How do you connect it to your computer, SCSI or USB?
What OS are you using and where did you download the drivers?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Sorry, by zip drive I just mean a 4gb memory stick that plugs into the USB port. I do however have and external hard drive that connects via USB that most of my "do not lose" files are on. Fonts and Corel files don't take up a lot of space and you can load a ton of them on a memory stick.

Beard
Google Adsense