PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Pepakura 3

After much head scratching, many failed attempts, and a (not too excessive) dent in my wallet, I have finally succeeded in upgrading my Primary PC from Win10 Pro 32bit to Win10 pro 64bit, but along the way the 32bit OS got corrupted and the HDD partition had to be reformatted. So I not only lost the 32bit OS, but also all the apps and programs installed on it.

Yes of course all my files were backed up, but I now have to install the 64bit versions of all the programs and apps. There were a few obtained from Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily that I knew I'd not be able to replace without going for premium versions, but I considered the upgrade to 64bit was worth it, as it's much faster and allows much more RAM to be used. Appologies to all you XP/Win7 stick-in-the-muds, but in the modern Win10 World anything 32bit is 'So last Century now' so it's necessary to move on up to stay relevant. My rigs are now all superior to any of my kids set-ups.

I have just re-installed Pepakura 4 designer and reader, but I'm not finding a reliable source for Pep 3 designer or reader. Considering that they still have all the old pdo file downloads available in their gallery, you'd think Tamasoft would still have at least the Pep3 reader available, but if it is I can't find it. Google and Bing have taken me down several dubious dead ends, some of which have really tested my virus protection, but no success yet, So I'm asking for help ... Can anyone out there point me to a good download source for Pep3? Preferably both designer and reader (I don't mind paying) but the reader is more important, in order to access the older pdo files. Of course I'd be even happier if some one would come up with a way of converting old pdo files so they can be opened with pep4 reader or Designer.

Last edited by JohnM; 01-23-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Cool ... I dunno if it's anything to do with going 64bit or just a Tamasoft update to v.4, but on trying out Pep4 designer and reader, I find that they now seem to be able to open the older pdo files too. The layout and tools all seem different, but 'Well done' to Tamasoft for sorting out this glitch in the upgrade.

I'd still like to have v.3 available on the side though. Just in case.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
They fixed the reading of old files (Pepakura Designer 2) in version 4.0.1. There isn't anything missing compared to version 3 as far as I noticed, so you should be ok with the most recent version (they release several updates per year).
I probably could make a converter from the old format to the new, but the only advantage would be that the files would get smaller and open a few milliseconds faster... (can't think of anything else).

(btw. the licence is transferable between versions, so the same key should work for both versions - no need to buy it again)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Johnny, did you try this page at tamasoft
Update History : Pepakura Designer

There is a download for old stable versions 3.1.8a and 3.1.5
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM

Imcold ... Thanks for the offer. I'm sure you could do it, but I don't think a converter will be necessary.

Doug ... That's just what I was looking for, I guess I just didn't explore the right links. I now have the setup.exe files stashed, but it's looking like they might not be necessary now.

Vassilis ... Many thanks for the PM offer, but Doug has sorted it for me.

Not having attempted to build anything more complicated than a few Koolwheelz and cubees since before Xmas I hadn't noticed the improvements being made to Pep 4. Hopefully this may tempt a few more of the people that have fought shy of using .pdo files in the past.

And a plea to designer users ... There are many models published that were obviously .pdo designs converted to .pdf, but unless separate illustrated instructions are given, PLEASE include the .pdo as well. The 3D image is so useful in showing how the parts are shaped and fit together.

My feet and fingers ARE slowly improving, but it may still be quite a while before I'll be back on full form again.