PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
It would appear that, the older versions site, as suggested, is in the most part not allowing software to be D/L due to what ever,; the software that is allowed is just crappy trial ware and of no use to any one, a great shame and i thank you for the suggestion, but, alas, unless some one will furnish me with the relevant codes etc etc etc, it is a wasted exercise !!!!!!!!!!!

My thanks and regards to you both for your interest and advise in this problem of mine, must say that, the problem is made due to Google Map, but here in the UK, we are well versed in Google and their dubious actions

Not looking all that great up to now; BTW, its an old PSP V 7 i have not 9 as i previously lined to, sorry for that!!! ....

Tom..........
Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I have Corel X7 and am very pleased with it, it plays well with Win 10. A month or so ago I had a minor problem on one of the machines I have it programmed. A message when I opened the program said something to the effect of having a illegitimate copy and it would stop running soon and I wouldn't be able to save anything, yada yada yada.

Anyhoo, I contacted Corel both with a forum query and the online help desk. After confirming the I did in fact have a legit copy (just supplied my serial nr). They told me how to remove the message and all has been well since.

By the way, when ever I close the program I get a message offering an upgrade version to X8.

Beard
Old 02-24-2018, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
I am using PSP X3 with great satisfaction. The two things I like about it, is -as I'm working on 2 monitors- when working on the right monitor with the editor, I can open my files to search what I need on the left one. Therefore, you can see the file and decide if it matches the opened one in the editor. But what I like even more, is the fact, that when working with several layers, containing parts that interact, you can change in one layer f.i. the contrast, and see on the full editor with the combined picture, the effects. You cannot do that alas with later versions. I tried the 2018 one and if you wish to change one layer, you see only that layer in the Editor, and not in a separate window, so you con no longer assess its effects on the whole. So I linger on with X-3. Corel does not listen to customers. Photoshop is out of the question, since the old versions are too expensive, and the new ones are by subscription: you pay per month, regardless if you use it or not.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Well its been 24 hours from my contact with Corel, no show yet, had quicker response from a medium , as i say, i am not a great lover of that company from some time back i just hope i hear by Monday of next week which would be a fair and proper time wait to get an answer from them, but, i will not be holding my breath, as i say, this based on previous personnel experiences.

Best regards to all, Tom.....
Old 02-24-2018, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I have heard horror stories about Corel support, and yet I have not had any problems in 10-15 years.
Maybe I have been lucky.
But then again, you never hear from the people who are satisfied.
You only tend to hear from those who are complaining! lol

Might I suggest, use a Corel Community Forum.
You get faster answers and help from people who are actually working with the product.
The best solutions come from users.
I am a member of two Corel communities and thats where I go for answers and help.

https://community.coreldraw.com/
https://community.coreldraw.com/talk/

Corel USER to USER Web Board • Index page

---------------------------
PSP is not a Corel product...the company may be owned by Corel now, but its still not a Corel product, so its not going to get the same support from Corel.

With the latest Corel products you must update IE.
Even if you don't use it, you still have to have updated IE to install the programs.
That was a little frustrating when I installed X8 Graphics Suite.

I don't run Win10, so I have no idea how Corel works there.

PSP is a Photo Editor. Its a raster based program. For editing bitmaps, photos, images.
Yes it has some vector capabilities, but its not a draw or graphics program primarily.
It was designed to compete with early Photoshop.
Its target user is someone who edits photos or bitmaps.

Its not the best choice for paper model design in my opinion.
CorelDraw (with Corel PhotoPaint for the raster editing)
or Photoshop would be the proper choice.

I'd probably use Inkscape if I didn't want to spend the money on Corel.

You can get Student Corel (non-commercial) for about $100.
(Digital file, no disc, no box/manual, no built in font manager, no extras, etc)
You could pick up an older version of Corel for a lot less.
Check out Kijiji, Craigslist or eBay.
Maybe even Amazon.
Same goes for Photoshop.

Admittedly I know very little about actual PaintShopPro use,
so I shouldn't tell you what you can and can't use.
I've seen people designing paper models with the weirdest of software choices.
You use what you know...and if you already have experience with a program,
then its hard to move to something else.
But theres always going to be a better choice.
Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2018, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinnell View Post
Well its been 24 hours from my contact with Corel, no show yet, had quicker response from a medium , as i say, i am not a great lover of that company from some time back i just hope i hear by Monday of next week which would be a fair and proper time wait to get an answer from them, but, i will not be holding my breath, as i say, this based on previous personnel experiences.

Best regards to all, Tom.....
Do they work weekends? You might be expecting something that can't be delivered. Do as Dave suggests - use the forum.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Its not the best choice for paper model design in my opinion.CorelDraw (with Corel PhotoPaint for the raster editing)or Photoshop would be the proper choice.
Photoshop is raster. You want Illustrator for vector work. $$$
Old 02-24-2018, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Yeah, I'm aware of that...Photoshop was mentioned, so I went with it. Sorry.
I was thinking the Adobe family of softwares but If I say Adobe...then people tend to think of Reader and Acrobat.

In the same vein:
CorelDraw is a vector program and you use CorelPhotoPaint for raster work.
Although, you can create, edit and incorporate bitmaps within CorelDraw without actually opening PhotoPaint.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I use PSP 2018 and have no issues with it - for my purposes it does the vector work fine. But I may not be too demanding? Drawings, painting. I use photo textures a lot as well so the raster side fits nicely as well.

For fancy design, I find Krita is a good option - it has a wonderful range of intuitive "brushes" which is a feature that I like. Steepish learning curve though. But these are my personal choices that suit me only.

I can't afford expensive software - it needs to be reasonably priced or freeware, so that also is the option base I have to start off with always.

And each to his own - it is difficult to punt software for people when you don't know their working style, preferences, financial abilitities, and machine capability, as well as what work they do and skills they have. For that reason I never punt just software I use. I always suggest go through all the recommendations given to you, and search the internet and see what further options are there. Then try on one specific project using the software options that interest you, and you can afford.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what a fantastic support from you lot, (other forums take note)

What can i say, all mentioned is much sorted food for thought, i for my sins have a system sporting latest nvidia GTX card full mem, the latest CPU I7 ???, Asus M?B, not my first choose but was wanting to get building the monster, and its has full mem on board; i started modelling in Lightwave 4 and got upto max 2014, and i will say that like the main majority of users of this range and price of 3D software for modelling, it was obtained from friends,and sorry, i have no problems with this, as, companies work on greed, not need, and they get all they deserve, excepting Adobe, they have a wonderful approach as, they will have ANY ONE who has their software to their gathering and as one of there people put it " when you see how dam great out product is you will pay for it but we can afford to wait) then laugh and proceeded to give their fantastic tut`s as they are very well known for.

My abilities are that i did make some mid WW1 / WW2 tanks for my self and showed them on a forum here in the UK but for the life of me, i just can not remember their name, but, with my age and ailments our joint monies now and has been for 20 years, state helped assistance, AKA, Pension and disablement benefits lol lol, our Conservative Government don`t like us oldies to live to long, we don`t contribute as far as they tell,

Still that is me my system of which is my 15th build, plus abilities re model building using the above, also, used PSP going back to the 3 rd out of the stables from Mess, Jacs, now their was a very very very great and friendly bunch of people, AND, out of the blue, they would just phone you up to, chew the fat as you Yanks say and see just how thing where going on, problems etc etc etc, boy Kev, don`t know about the SD40 making you feel old mate, but from a basic OTT customer service based on what we have to contend with today, it make me now feel ANCIENT .........

Thanks for the wonderful advice and support, will update as thing go on, did try PSP 2018 trial, and yes, it worked fine, will an update do like wise, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, i worry it might not. any thoughts on this??; all the very best and fondest regards to you great lot.........

Tom.......
Google Adsense