PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-16-2018, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Pepakura 4

Since Pep-4 developed the ability to read the earlier Pep-3 files I have not needed to drop back to Pep-3 for a long time. So in the last clean up before the 1809 upgrade to Win 10 (Yes I did get it and it works fine for me), I uninstalled Pep 3 among several other rarely used programs.

Back in the Pep 3 days, I was shown how to modify a PDO to create a lineless version, but it was a long time ago (Memory fades with old age), and I've got rid of Pep 3 anyway. However, I now urgently need to create a lineless version of a new model figurine, but I cannot find any way to do this in Pep 4 Designer or Reader. Has anyone else fathomed this out yet? Please do tell, or point me in the direction of instructions.

Also ... off the subject ... I've recently installed a program called Grammarly.https://app.grammarly.com/ It's great. It not only does an excellent spellcheck, but it also leans all over my not so excellent Grammar. I use it set to English UK, but it is settable to other languages. It also asks to be added to Chrome as an extension so that it can do it's thing better within the browser. Dunno about other browsers as I only use Chrome.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Sussed it! I now have unlined pdo and pdf files, and untextured lined versions to make under tabs and build a white test model alongside.

All I need now is a new set of fingers and I can make a start.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
mind sharing how you did this?

i have tried it, but some of the buttons or menu options have changed
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 PM

I can't guarantee this will work in the Free version, but it does in the Paid version of Designer.

Settings ... Other settings ... Set mountain folds to none ... set valley folds to none ... Click OK ... Check that they've gone in 2D view ... Save as, changing the title to UNLINED. The original pdo should remain as Lined, but for safety do the mod on a copy.

To get an untextured print copy just click on 'set materials to face' icon. 4th icon top row. Again 'save as' and change title. You could remove fold lines as before, but I like to have them there on an untextured print.

Tread carefully and always work on a copy. I presume you know how to print to pdf.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

you presume correctly
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 10-17-2018, 06:05 AM

I am getting other inquiries about this. If anyone is trying this using the free version of Pep-4, please let me know if it is successful. I can't try it myself as the Premium upgrade key alters the existing free version. So the only way I can check it out is to download the free version onto a different computer.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 PM

Well I just installed Pep 4 Designer (Free) on my laptop to try this method out.
First things first ... If the pdo is protected it won't open in Designer but kick straight through into Reader ... where this stuff can't be done.

Some files will open Designer but will request a Password or to open in Reader. Obviously, if you haven't got the password, you're not gonna get it to open in Designer, only in Reader. The Artist doesn't want you to mess with his design. I have found that if you contact the artist and explain what you want to do, many will do it for you and send you the altered files.

However, if you do have the password or the file has been left open, you'll find that you CAN perform the de-lining and de-texturing operations as described in my previous post #4. BUT ... in the free version of Designer, you'll find that you cannot 'save' or 'save as' the changes. It will ask you to insert the 'Paid for' Keycode first.

However, you can cheat a bit, and instead of saving the altered file, you CAN print it. Probably best if you 'Print to PDF' so you have a digital copy. When you close the program, it will ask if you want to save the changes, but without the keycode it won't let you, and the file will revert to it's original state.

The bottom line being ... if the file is protected the Artist doesn't want you messing with his work ... and if you really need to use the full power of Pep Designer, Tamasoft would like you to pay for the program. It seems to be a one-off payment, not an annual subscription like many nowadays. Not having been a paid up customer for long, I can't confirm this though.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Old license keys are valid when switching from Pepakura 3 to 4. I have one for about 5 years, and it isn't expensive at all, especially when you consider that it will last you for years (forever) and it supports the developer.

On the other hand, I don't think it's author's intent to NOT be able to switch those things on/off, but YMMV. Also, Pdotools lets you manipulate textures and edge lines when exporting to SVG or PDF, and maybe re-saving the PDO without fold lines/textures could be added as an option. For strictly personal use only.

Edit: also, if more people would ask for the switch in free version at Tamasoft support, maybe they would consider adding it. They're quite responsive.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Lots of good reasoning there Imcold. I'm afraid the abbreviation YMMV meant nothing to me though. Nor am I familiar with Pdotools.

From previous posts of yours, I've gathered that you are well experienced in these matters. Experiencing how huge and complex the GIMP manual has become (Over 400MB now), I'm hesitant to ask if anyone has ever written a Pepakura instruction manual? I've been nibbling away at them both for a few years now, and they have become primary resources in my toolkit, but there are still many, many tools that I don't know how to use.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

pdotools = created by imcold as a open source couterpart to Pepakura
Google Adsense