PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
It is interesting that Edge, Inkscape and Sumatra have same problems opening the Canon PDF, I wonder if they share some code?
Well, most applications rely on libraries to do the serious stuff, and by their own nature libraries are designed to be reused in several applications or even operating systems. For instance, Edge's HTML rendering engine and JavaScript interpreter are two of Microsoft's libraries, which will soon be replaced by their counterparts in Chromium/Google Chrome.

Assuming the wyvern PDF is 100% kosher (yes, the software which created the file could have introduced a nonconformity which tools like Evince, Okular and Foxit, by accident or design, "forgive"; this happens all the time, e.g., with loose standards like HTML <5), tools like Inkscape have a bug
  1. when reading the PDF into their own memory representation of the image
  2. and/or when rendering that representation into screen
Both tasks are likely to performed by libraries, which might be shared by the other buggy tools. For instance, since Evince, Okular and Inkscape all use the poppler library for rendering PDF, and in my system only one version of poppler is installed, it's not likely to be culprit (poppler uses Cairo for raw rendering, but again I have only one version of Cairo here).

Last edited by cfuruti; 05-30-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
John, if you just want a straight PDF reader that should work, try Foxit - its also free.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/
Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
John, if you just want a straight PDF reader that should work, try Foxit - its also free.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/
Reading a page from a very complex PDF file into Inkscape has often given me problems. I suspect that it is a memory-management problem.

A work-around which usually succeeds is to use Foxit to "print" a page at a time to a PDF pseudo printer (I use the free PDF24). Then read the single-page PDF into Inkscape. I have just tried this for one of the wings of the Canon Wyvern, and it came out fine.

Alan
Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Downloaded through Safari on iPad. Displays and prints fine.
Also saved to Books as a PDF. Again it displays and prints fine.
Those things said I have occasionally had display/print issues using Adobe Acrobat Professional on my desktop in the past.
Acrobat Professional no longer runs on my machine (it’s a VERY old version). For a reader I am using PDF Reader which was free. I’ll upgrade to the full version (equal to Acrobat Pro) for short money when I need it.
Have finally escaped the clutches of evil Adobe.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
A work-around which usually succeeds is to use Foxit to "print" a page at a time to a PDF pseudo printer (I use the free PDF24). Then read the single-page PDF into Inkscape. I have just tried this for one of the wings of the Canon Wyvern, and it came out fine.
Excellent tip. Doing that entails several layers of data conversion: from PDF to Foxit's internal data structures to Foxit's version of PDF to Inkscape's internal data structure (which was designed to perfectly handle SVG, not PDF); the end result could avoid the original bug - perhaps just by being simpler, thus avoiding some subtlety in the PDF standard not correctly handled either by Inkscape or the PDF creator.

However, data loss is possible, for instance in colorspace conversion, and transforming gradients and masks from vector to raster. Although the file is visually ok, this could limit the range of editing which prompted the use of Inkscape in first place.
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Excellent tip. Doing that entails several layers of data conversion: from PDF to Foxit's internal data structures to Foxit's version of PDF to Inkscape's internal data structure (which was designed to perfectly handle SVG, not PDF); the end result could avoid the original bug - perhaps just by being simpler, thus avoiding some subtlety in the PDF standard not correctly handled either by Inkscape or the PDF creator.

However, data loss is possible, for instance in colorspace conversion, and transforming gradients and masks from vector to raster. Although the file is visually ok, this could limit the range of editing which prompted the use of Inkscape in first place.
Of course, you are absolutely right. Something is bound to suffer on the way. However, I don't have a problem with accepting a somewhat degraded image when the alternative is to have no useful image at all to edit.

Colour consistency is certainly a problem. Nowadays I very rarely print directly from the original PDF file, but go through the same sequence for the original pages as I will for any subsequent editing, so the colours will be consistent, if not exactly what the designer intended. Of course, my printer and the paper I use will be different from his/hers, so there will never be an exact match anyway.

Alan
Old 05-31-2019, 11:11 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
why print to another pdf printer when foxit has one that gets installed when you install the main program?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-01-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
why print to another pdf printer when foxit has one that gets installed when you install the main program?
Inertia.

1. I have had PDF24 installed for many years and always found it thoroughly reliable, so I feel no urge to replace it.

2. I have also had Foxit for many years, and have forgotten (or perhaps never known) that it has a PDF printer option. For someone new to this malarkey it would certainly make sense to try it this way.

Alan