PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 09-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Interesting article

Found this from a post on the Warbird Information Exchange website (http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/index.php):
http://www.saerodesign.com/Digital%2...%20article.pdf
Some things mentioned in there such as being able to transfer the patterns to flat work... Sounds like cardmodel stuff to me.

Ryan
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort View Post
Some things mentioned in there such as being able to transfer the patterns to flat work... Sounds like cardmodel stuff to me.

Yes, it is interesting Ryan.... Thanks for the link. I'm not sure about it being applicable to card work though. Not unless you have a multi thousand budget. The sotware he's talking about costs mega bucks. On top of that, it's a real cad/cam manufacturing system, and would be the devil itself to learn from scratch.

CATIA is actually a modified development of 3D Studio Max..... Built specifically for the aerospace industry by Dassault Systems, the French company responsible for the Mirage and other fighter aircraft.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"

Last edited by Fozzy The Bear; 09-07-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I do believe they were doing the Venture Star in CATIA... my dad has a big poster of it.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Curve Systems and Catia

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for tuning us in to a great article. What is discussed is something all model designers have to wrestle with, a correct system of curves which accurately describe the surface. I've found that this takes a considerable amount of time in obtaining an accurate surface from which to design a card model. You might wonder why got to all the trouble when card models are for the most part single curved surfaces? The reason is that it allows an infinite selection in the sectioning from which those surfaces are built. It allows the model to be "modeled" before committing to developing the surfaces. Getting the right look is most of the battle and without CAD none of this would exist nor would we be having this conversation.

Catia is one of the pioneering CAD/CAM software packages developed by Dassault Systems. A short history can be found here:

http://www.edstechnologies.com/maile...ow-history.htm

+Gil
Old 04-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Hello Gil,
thanks for the correction I am new to the forum and an actual engineer at Dassault Systemes. For the fun I searched for CATIA as I am currently planning on using it and the sheet metal product in CATIA for designing paper models. When I saw someone saying that it is a modified version of 3DS Max I almost choked
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrinecold View Post
Hello Gil,
thanks for the correction I am new to the forum and an actual engineer at Dassault Systemes. For the fun I searched for CATIA as I am currently planning on using it and the sheet metal product in CATIA for designing paper models. When I saw someone saying that it is a modified version of 3DS Max I almost choked
Well you should be designing some awesome stuff. Looking forward to that.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Hopefully but I need to learn the use of the program as I am like the F1 engineer I am not necessarily a good pilot. I did get a colleague of mine who is a real user enthusiast enough to teach me the right tool.