PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 05-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Does it include GPU rendering? Working with lots of filters or a high number of vectors really does tank performance and having to use layer view and filter view workarounds isn't ideal.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Thank Rick, use it very little so will wait for awhile and let others do the bug checking for me. To see what version I had, I opened it for the first time in a year.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Our public library offers Lynda.com as part of their digital services. They have a pretty solid intro to the ins and outs of Inkscape. Worth looking into.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Thanks for clearing up the matter. I thought GIMP was similar to Photoshop, not Illustrator or Inskcape. Is Inkscape similar to Coreldraw??. I've heard that several people also use CorelDraw for laser cutting machines. But CorelDraw costs a fortune. As a matter of fact, the machines include an old version of CorelDraw which nobody uses because Inkscape is much better. And now I see why you posted Inkscape news here, as you say, is more than appropriate. Thanks again!!
Yes, GIMP Is raster-based, like Photoshop, while Inkscape, like Illustrator and Corel Draw, is vector-based. GIMP and Inkscape are certainly not integrated, but make a natural pair - however, Inkscape's filters and live path effects mean I've been using GIMP less and less. Inkscape is very general and by no means tied to CnC hardware.
I'm using 1.0rc1 (release candidate, i.e., post-beta), but have not tried the features announced. I expect changes to be incremental, unlike the jump from 0.48 to 0.92, which gave tremendous speed and memory benefits.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy Wotsit View Post
Does it include GPU rendering? Working with lots of filters or a high number of vectors really does tank performance and having to use layer view and filter view workarounds isn't ideal.
At least on Linux, Inkscape defers rendering to the Cairo library, so the answer depends on the Cairo back-end.
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2020, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
I have corel draw and inkscape. I would rather render in inkscape these days. My only issue is it does not import a .dwg without it being converted to a .dxf. I work around this just fine and I understand that autodesk won't let a open source program have the rights to allow it. Corel is a great program but I'm tired of paying for upgrades.

Just my 2cent show for the day!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:16 AM

Okay have tested Inkscape 1.0 vs whatever the older version I was using before hand.

I am working on a new model which for whatever reason was giving some real performance issues with the rendering speed on the old version. A quick trial in Inkscpae 1.0 shows quicker loading, quicker zooming and moving so in simple terms 1.0 seems to render and perform better than previous versions.

Settings were matched to the previous version 8 threads and lowest quality for rendering. Although I guess I could up the thread usage to 16 but from what I've seen the software (at least the old one barely touches a single thread)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.92 GB
Thanks Rick!

Inkscape has been my go-to program for awhile.
Such a great tool!

Many thanks again,

James
Old 05-15-2020, 04:37 PM

v1.0 has a big big problem that older version do not have.

When I design larger models I fold the project out in to one piece do the texturing and save it as a single file. Once I am finished I then split the project in to smaller sections and save each one as a single file that can be printed on to A4.

No issue at all with older versions of Inkscape. v1.0 has a problem where doing this turns ANY transparency in the image black. My layers have the outer edges and folds of the project on top layer which means when I cut and paste all my textures have been replaced by black.

I loaded up an older version of Inkscape and this issue does not occur in it.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Inkscape if so to speak is a "light" version of CorelDraw, which is a vector professional software for graphic designers. It is like pair of GIMP and PhotoShop.