PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 05-13-2020, 05:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Your Phone Companion(PC only)

Hi all,

I was messing around my laptop the other day, looking for a particular setting, or interface. and I came across Phone on the Settings page(1st picture)

So, being the curious sort, I clicked on it, and clicked on add phone(2nd picture)
I clicked on add phone, it will connect you to your Microsoft account(if you are using hotmail or Outlook mail you already have the account) and after verifying and clicking ok a few times(sorry forgot too late to take pictures of those screens) you will be prompted to download a small app from either the iTunes App Store, or the Google Play store, and once you have installed, and opened , and agreed to the various button clicks in there(sorry, forgot the pictures) your iPhone or Android phone will be able to "talk" with your laptop or desktop computer.

At present, I have it set so I can send texts and download the pictures from my phone, and save locally to my hard drive or my external drive.
The desktop interface is pretty straight forward(4th picture) and right clicking on a picture brings up a small context menu allowing you to select what you want to do with that picture(5th picture)

This apparently work with iPhones as well, but since I don't have one, I can't test this, and if you have a newer Samsung phone, there is no need to download the app.

I wanted to explore this method of connecting my phone to my laptop, expressly for transferring pictures, my old workflow was to either email myself the pictures, or upload them to my Google Drive, and then pick them from there to save locally.

I hope this helps someone and I will try to help where I can if you have any questions

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Your Phone Companion(PC only)-settings.jpg   Your Phone Companion(PC only)-initial_setup.jpg   Your Phone Companion(PC only)-link_phone.jpg   Your Phone Companion(PC only)-pc_interface.jpg   Your Phone Companion(PC only)-pc_interface_selection.jpg  

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2020, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Interesting. I've seen that setting, but never bothered with it.
Onedrive, dropbox and Box have similar settings to sync automatically all your photos...but with limited storage of course.

In regards to your workflow of transferring pictures to download to computer...with the Google Drive, if you install the windows app, they sync automatically to your laptop without the need to download. On your phone, you'll just save into the Google Drive as you normally do. It was easier in the past when Google would allow the photos to sync in both Photos app and Google Drive automatically, but they recently removed that feature.

My phone, Google Pixel 3XL, syncs the photos to Google Photos app and if I need on my computer, I just download it.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
there are many roads that lead to Rome, so I am not surprised that there are other methods.

but I thought it might help someone and get pictures off their phones
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rick - this works well, and it is good that you have highlighted this feature. It is extremely useful!

Especially for Happy Snappers and working off your phone.

One tip: Only connect via WiFi otherwise you will chomp data!

------------------------------

You can also just type phone in the Search Box (bottom left) for quick access to the initial screen.