PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 11-18-2020, 10:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
PaperMaker is a browser based program. If your browser can run Javascript and your Modeling program of choice can export in .stl format, you can use the tool. As an aside, Blender runs on a Mac and can export .stl files.

I continue to play with PaperMaker as time permits. Accurately redrawing the output in Inkscape takes some effort but produces good results. Getting a really tight fit still requires test building and some tweaking.

The dream of a 1/1000 scale D-10 Battlecruiser remains alive!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
PaperMaker is a browser based program. If your browser can run Javascript and your Modeling program of choice can export in .stl format, you can use the tool. As an aside, Blender runs on a Mac and can export .stl files.

I continue to play with PaperMaker as time permits. Accurately redrawing the output in Inkscape takes some effort but produces good results. Getting a really tight fit still requires test building and some tweaking.

The dream of a 1/1000 scale D-10 Battlecruiser remains alive!
PaperMaker now has svg export capability, though I do not really know if the exported svg is good enough to work with since I do not usually use svg myself :p
Old 11-20-2020, 03:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Export to svg is great feature. Thank you. I need to test it to see how is svg file arranged.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 11-20-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuocdh View Post
PaperMaker now has svg export capability, though I do not really know if the exported svg is good enough to work with since I do not usually use svg myself :p

Separate filled closed path for each face is what worked for me when doing pepakura to svg. It makes things easy to select, edit and combine to larger pieces. But everyone's mileage may vary.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.98 GB
help

Can't get web site. Just a blank screen.
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuocdh View Post
Fantastic!

One of my test subjects consists of a many faceted globe sliced horizontally into 12 bands. Using the new feature I exported the sliced up globe as an .svg file, pulled it into Inkscape, and converted the faceted line segments into true circular arc segments. Redrawing went much more quickly and the resulting globe, when built up, was significantly more accurate. One band has a small shape problem, very probably my error, which I hope to correct tonight. All bands had very small length issues which probably occur because line thickness accounts for enough error to throw things off. I am hoping to work out best practices for that issue as well.

I would like to draw your attention to four small quirks of the program.

First, after slicing up a three dimensional object, the feature buttons in the upper left hand corner of the layout window get in the way of laying out parts on the export page.

Second, when exporting as an .svg file, everything gets exported, not just the parts on the layout page. In other words, the entire workspace exports, not just the parts on the paper template in the upper left hand corner. This may be exactly what you intended but I only expected the parts on the paper. This quirk had absolutely zero impact on my ability to work with the resulting parts in Inkscape.

Third, when exporting as a .svg file, it appears PaperMaker throws out scaling values and reverts to original scaling values. I only tried this once so it may have resulted from my user error. I scaled my original globe from 200mm to 101mm, sliced it up, arranged the parts on the paper in the upper right hand corner, exported, and ended up with very large parts from the entire workspace.

Fourth, after cutting up parts and when arranging them for export, the line cut feature constantly activates, making it very difficult to select and move a part. Further, if I accidentally cut a part, I could not figure out how to undo my cut. All of this was very probably my user error.

I am really enjoying playing with PaperMaker but please keep in mind I am learning Blender, Inkscape, and PaperMaker at the same time. Sometimes I forget or confuse hotkeys resulting in some very interesting and dramatic errors. :o

Anyway, keep up the great work and I hope some of that helps.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:20 AM

Thank you all for your valuable feedback! I've been busy moving last week so the updates are slow :p

Separate filled closed path for each face is what worked for me when doing pepakura to svg. It makes things easy to select, edit and combine to larger pieces. But everyone's mileage may vary.

I have added some options for svg export feature, including separating faces. Check it out! :D

First, after slicing up a three dimensional object, the feature buttons in the upper left hand corner of the layout window get in the way of laying out parts on the export page.

There is now an orange arrow that let you hide/show upper left buttons.

Second, when exporting as an .svg file, everything gets exported, not just the parts on the layout page. In other words, the entire workspace exports, not just the parts on the paper template in the upper left hand corner. This may be exactly what you intended but I only expected the parts on the paper.

There is now an svg export option that let you remove unwanted parts to be exported. By default everything is exported.

Fourth, after cutting up parts and when arranging them for export, the line cut feature constantly activates, making it very difficult to select and move a part. Further, if I accidentally cut a part, I could not figure out how to undo my cut. All of this was very probably my user error.

There is now 'Tools' menu in the lower right corner that let you turn off line cutting. And yeah, if you accidentally cut a piece, the only solution (for now) is to use Undo button.

Third, when exporting as a .svg file, it appears PaperMaker throws out scaling values and reverts to original scaling values.

I have tested this but yet to find anything strange. There is no scaling information in exported svg because it is baked directly into shape coordinate. If you still encounter the problem please send me screenshots and/or saved PMK file so I can debug, thanks!

Can't get web site. Just a blank screen.

You will need a pretty up-to-date browser with Javascript enabled in order to use PaperMaker. What browser version are you using?

Last edited by phuocdh; 12-01-2020 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Formatting.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:23 AM

I just noticed that you support importing PDO files, nice. There's an older PDO format that was used in Pepakura Designer 1 that's doesn't seem to be supported though. If you need some info on it, there's a description here: https://github.com/dpethes/pdo-tools...escription.txt (in short, it's similar but a bit simpler and text based).
Old 01-01-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold View Post
I just noticed that you support importing PDO files, nice. There's an older PDO format that was used in Pepakura Designer 1 that's doesn't seem to be supported though. If you need some info on it, there's a description here ...
And I've just noticed that you are the author of pdo tools. In fact I did use your documentation as reference back when I started implementing PDO importing feature. It was only about text based PDO format but gave me a solid understanding about the structure and make working with newer binary format much easier! Thank you very much!

PS: PaperMaker is now capable of decoding unfolded parts from PDO file, including (nearly) correct part placement, rotation, flap placement along with many useful settings. Text and image are not yet being imported but it is pretty much usable imo!
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Keep up the good work! Very impressed!

Tags
pepakura, tools