PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking PaperMaker: free Pepakura alternative

I have made a tool for converting 3D model into papercraft, similar to Pepakura Designer but FREE!

The tool currently lacks features but I am constantly working on it. Please give it a try:

https://papercraft-maker.com/
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2020, 02:12 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
I checked it out. So far, so good!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
What sort ofr files does it import? It would not take an STL file.
Wayne
Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
What sort ofr files does it import? It would not take an STL file.
Wayne
It does import STL. If you have problem importing particular file, would you please send the file to me so I can debug? Thanks in advance!
(my email is [email protected], if you want to send the file via email)
Old 10-04-2020, 05:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Just gave it a try and it looks good, but.... (there are always some)
I used a STL-file of a stringing-test as used on a 3D-printer, which is a flat square with 2 standing columns. After clicking all cuttinglines, a lot, the unfold shows the parts but on top of eachother. Couldn't find some setting to change this or a way to seperate the 'layers'.
Or does one unfold the parts seperate?

It looks promising!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Google Adsense
Old 10-04-2020, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
It's a promising project. Maybe details to iron out here and there, but would love to see more development
Old 10-04-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytail View Post
Just gave it a try and it looks good, but.... (there are always some)
I used a STL-file of a stringing-test as used on a 3D-printer, which is a flat square with 2 standing columns. After clicking all cuttinglines, a lot, the unfold shows the parts but on top of eachother. Couldn't find some setting to change this or a way to seperate the 'layers'.
Or does one unfold the parts seperate?

It looks promising!
Firstly, thanks for trying out my tool!

I don't know if I understand your problem properly, but it seems you have cut all the lines which is not how it should work. You must leave some lines to connect the faces. Refer to the attached screenshots. Hope this help!
Attached Thumbnails
PaperMaker: free Pepakura alternative-screenshot_4.jpg   PaperMaker: free Pepakura alternative-screenshot_7.png  
Old 10-05-2020, 05:03 AM

Testing Papercraft Maker

I used the file stringing.stl as attached in a zip-file.

PM gave this:

Selected the edges of the columns:

And the bottom:

Unfolding gave the parts upon eachother:

Re-arranged them by simply dragging to the desired spots:

Sofar so good!

Remarks:
Selecting the edges is a bit difficult because the mouspointer is not always exact on the line to select. Also the object is sometimes hard to move and zoom in a position to easier select the lines. And the facets of the lines have to be done one by one. In a details part a big job!
Next is how to turn and arrage the parts in PM. Is there a way to get them in a straight position or will this have to be done in another program where also coloring and things are fixed?
Attached Files
File Type: zip stringing.zip (1.8 KB, 12 views)

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Selecting the edges is a bit difficult because the mouspointer is not always exact on the line to select. Also the object is sometimes hard to move and zoom in a position to easier select the lines.
Fully agreed on this point. The only possible solution for now is zooming in on the line you want to select. You can drag using right mouse to change center of camera and focus to the line you want to select, then zoom in. It requires a little effort to master :p

Quote:
And the facets of the lines have to be done one by one. In a details part a big job!
Again, fully agreed. I am planning to work more on this, there are two possible solutions:

1. One button unfolding: that is, you click one button and PaperMaker will do all the cutting and unfolding for you.
2. Multi-line cutting: cut one line and PaperMaker will try to guest logical lines that should also follow the cut. For example: In you stringing.stl, just click one line of the circle at the top and the whole circle will be cut.

Maybe I will implement both solutions.

Quote:
Next is how to turn and arrage the parts in PM. Is there a way to get them in a straight position or will this have to be done in another program where also coloring and things are fixed?
For now, all the 3D objects stay as is. You can not re-arrange them, or modifying them such as coloring, scaling etc... You need to do all the modification in another software before importing the model into PaperMaker. I might consider adding some basic 3D manipulations in the future but for now, the main focus is 2D. PaperMaker is a papercrafting tool after all

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

PS: did you change model height before unfolding? (If not, then this might be a bug of PaperMaker, because the default height is 200 mm which will result in much bigger unfolded parts)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuocdh View Post
PS: did you change model height before unfolding? (If not, then this might be a bug of PaperMaker, because the default height is 200 mm which will result in much bigger unfolded parts)
I changed it into 50mm.

The output was in a PDF, which can be converted into a JPG, Bitmap or so. Only then resolution is rather low. Gives much pixelation as in the PDF. Something be done about that?

Keep on!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Google Adsense

Tags
pepakura, tools