PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Printer drivers or printer manger

Hi, I recently got an Epson ET-2720 printer. So far it's been a good printers but the colors are a bit off from what I'm seeing on screen. Also before every print I have to go through and check several things, is it printing at 100% etc, to make sure it will print correctly. Does anyone know of a good printer driver or Software that I use for managing the printer and print through it as opposed to what ever PDF or another software uses?
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2021, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
What you see on your screen is the result of your computer and monitor settings.
Mostly, your monitor settings.
The Printer is likely the most accurate part in the equation.

Start by printing some tests.
This page has some good test images: Printer Test Images - colour and monochrome images for testing

You need to make sure the Printer is printing properly, so do a few different tests.
Test both B/W and colours.
Print an image like this and judge the colours you know (not what you see on your screen).

The trick is to adjust your monitor settings to match your Printer output/image.
There are some small changes you can make with your printer, but adjusting your monitor is a lot simpler.
This will also help you see any changes in how your printer does...say, when ink gets low.

After printing an image, you can compare it to you screen and adjust your screen colours to match.
This of course, might throw off things you've already become accustomed to.
The look and feel of a particular webpage for example.
But you'll get used to the differences.

As far as checking settings, print settings are "default" for every print.
You need to familiarize yourself with what is the default whenever you go to print.
That way you will get used to whatever changes you must make for each desired print.

I'm not sure you can change 'default" settings to a new set of default settings to better suit your common print jobs.
That would be nice.
But I don't know what your printer is capable of.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
You need to make sure the Printer is printing properly, so do a few different tests.
Test both B/W and colours.
Print an image like this and judge the colours you know (not what you see on your screen)...
To add to Dave's already accurate advice, let me add that it is useful to make tests in different kinds of paper too.
The same inks tend to behave a bit differently on regular paper and photo paper.
So be sure you are using the paper that better suits your needs.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
The color of a pixel in a document is represented as a set of numbers (for instance, 255, 0, 0 is bright red in the RGB system). From the document to the final display (screen or printer) those numbers pass through software and hardware layers which perform adjustments and corrections - those are the settings mentioned by Dave - resulting in different actual colors in different devices. That happens because neither eye/brain sensitivity nor physical/analog values scale linearly: changing the amount of ink or a LED's voltage by a factor of two won't produce a dot exactly twice as bright or dark.
But there's another point: the ranges of possible colors (gamut) of CRT, LCD screens and printers are different, and all are only subsets of the colors actually discernible by human eyes. In other words, many colors you'll see on screen can only be approximated, but never exactly reproduced on your 4-cartridge inkjet, and vice versa (those 7-plus colors photo cartridges help but don't eliminate the issue) no matter the settings.
Therefore, be aware that some discrepancies can't be avoided, due to physical limitations.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi, thanks for the info. The funny thing is I'm scanning a paid for card model and trying to print it out to a larger scale. So I'm actually trying to match to another print. The image that is scanned actually matches the original card model. But in my print the the greys are coming out with a tinge of green. I can adjust the colors in the printer settings but I have to do it every print. So I was looking for a better printer manger.
Google Adsense