PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 10-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Question about GIMP

I'm having a lot of problems with GIMP locking up when I try to save a file, especially to JPG. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions of what, if anything, I'm doing wrong?
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
I'm having a lot of problems with GIMP locking up when I try to save a file, especially to JPG. Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions of what, if anything, I'm doing wrong?
GIMP pops up a dialogue when you save to .jpg asking about the quality you want and some other stuff - this popup can get lost behind other windows and gives the appearance of GIMP locking up - in fact it's waiting for input. An oddity I've noticed is that in the save dialogue if you leave the cursor in the filename rather than at the end of the name + extension GIMP produces strange effects and sometimes locks up.

Are you running the latest stable version? The older ones were known to be a bit buggy.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the quick answer Charlie. When it does it, it is definetely locking up because I have to check on the 'end now' button and let the whole program close. I think I have the latest version, but will double check. You may have something on the cursor in the filename, will have to pay attention to that and see if it cures the problem. Not wanting to have to come up with the money for Photoshop if I don't have to.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The good news is that the next major release of GIMP is supposed to be all in one window like most other programs. i.e. everything, including the toolbox, is docked.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Went back and did a few photos. That waiting for the cursor to clear and moving it to the end of the file name seemes to work. Boy is it slow but guess that the tradeoff for zero cost. I'm used to just clicking throught the windows, then moving on to something else while it 'perks' away. guess I just need to keep something to read at the worktable while I wait for it.

B-Manic, that is good news.
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
I'm running a three-year old laptop and sometimes work with 20 MP images and GIMP doesn't seem that slow to me at all...

Ryan
Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 PM

I was judging by when I used to work with Photoshop a lot at my old job on a computer that wasn't as fast or as much memory as the one I have now. As far as saving files and file manipulation, it just seems to me that Photoshop was much quicker; plus didn't have the locking up and crashes that GIMP seems to have.

Been thinking about taking a look at Corell Paint Shop since it is fairly inexpensive compared with Photoshop. And since I always preferred CorelDraw over Illustrator it would be nicely compatible.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
I use Gimp frequently on different machines and never had it crash. I think that either something with your operating system is wrong or that Gimp didn't install properly. Before you start spending money you don't have i'd recommend you delete and reinstall Gimp.

If all else fails: CorelDraw is a great package for relatively small money, but it has some serious stability issues in the later versions and is MS Windows only. Also, if you are looking for a vector based drawing program, have a look at Inkscape.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM

I'll agree that crashes with GIMP aren't much of a problem, the primary problem I was having was it locking up. The waiting for it to finish processing a function seems to solve that. Was working on some photos last night and as long as I did that no lock up just lot of waiting time. Tried a couple of things I used to do in Photoshop that I couldn't do in GIMP. Need to experiment more and see if that was just due to unfamilarity with the tools.

I have Inkscape and been working with it a bit. Just have ran into a few things and ways of setting up drawings I was used to doing in CorelDraw and Illustrator and haven't figured out how to do it in Illustrator. I know several people using CorelDraw in the sign and decal industry (seems to be the standard there) and they haven't mentioned any problems with stability.

Whichever way I decide, am going to wait for Windows 7 (or whatever they're calling the new OS) to get here and upgrade to it. Then just reload everything from stratch.