PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 750.92 MB
AutoCad and Rhino

Hi, papermodelers from everywhere! I started "playing" with Rhino and did not succeded in bringing an AutoCad drawing (a side view of a plane, file extention *dwg) into Rhino to serve as a bitmap background. Is it really impossible or I should have done anything wrong? Tips and explanations are truly welcome. Thank you!!
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I don't know very much about either program but I do know that an AutoCad *.dwg file is not a bitmap.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
I'll echo the previous comment. You can import .dwg files into Rhino and edit them there but as far as I know unless you have a screencapture of the file you can't use it as a background bitmap. Type import at the command line or select import under the file menu.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You could try saving a "Render" of the side drawing from Autocad, then convert it into a bitmap (.bmp) unless Autocad allows you to save the "Render" in that format. If it does, you could save the front, top, and side, views and place them in each of the appropriate windows in Rhino.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Just import the .dwg file into Rhino and use it to build the model. That's much better than using a viewport background.

If you really want a bmp for a background image, do a sceen capture of the file in AutoCad and place it in Rhino as a background image.

It must be one of the file types in the second image.
Attached Thumbnails
AutoCad and Rhino-rhinobg.jpg   AutoCad and Rhino-rhinobg2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

Yeah!, I was wondering about that. Did some elements not make it into Rhino? I have had this happen before.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 750.92 MB
Thank you all, guys, for giving me attention. My doubt is solved. I count on you for future consultations.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM

Probably late, but if someone is interested...

- Solution 1: Open the DWG file in AutoCAD and save it as DXF. The data will remain the same (vector), but this format is text-based and open, so much more programs can read it than the DWG.
- Solution 2: Open the DWG file in AutoCAD, go to Print dialog, select "publish to web PNG .pc3" (or something like that) virtual plotter instead of normal printer, select desired page dimensions in pixels, apropriate scale and "print" it. You get your drawing precisely converted to PNG bitmap. The result always looks as you would see it on screen in "2D wire" shademode (shading off, textures visible, curves regenerated to maximum possible quality).

Both of these require AutoCAD, which may be sort of disadvantage. But you can always send the file to someone who has it installed and ask for conversion.