PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Stock

Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Sikorsky R-4

First operational US helicopter - notably used during WWII in India/Burma by the 1st Air Commando Group (Project 9) for medivac and rescue of downed aviators. Six prototypes were delivered, two were lost during operations. For a short read about this unit see http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil...onThursday.pdf .

Sikorsky R-4-sikorskyr-4.jpg

Build is stock (1:48 scale by printing the large Army version at 50%) with the substitution of fine copper wire for extra card layers to stiffen the rotor blades. Picture above has the blades rotating the wrong direction - a bit of confusion with the instruction sheet drawings, 3-view and photos showing different arrangements. Fortunately, the rotor disk is not glued down so a quick flip will set things to right.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Thanks for posting Yogi. Didn't know you did aircraft as well mate. Nice tip about using copper wire to stiffen the rotors. Another nice tip to store away until needed.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks, Jim.

I build a bit of everything - just got started doing the spacecraft since that's what the local teachers wanted.
Did a whole bunch of FG airplanes for a fifth-grade science teacher - and the simple Wall-E robots were a big hit as table conversation-starters for the last teachers' workshop (robotics focus).
Haven't done many boats lately - worked my way through ten or fifteen of Phil Bolger's small craft a few years ago (reassigned so had to leave my waterfront) in 1:12 scale, doorskin plywood.
Yogi (easily distracted ...)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Thanks, Jim.

I build a bit of everything - just got started doing the spacecraft since that's what the local teachers wanted.
Did a whole bunch of FG airplanes for a fifth-grade science teacher - and the simple Wall-E robots were a big hit as table conversation-starters for the last teachers' workshop (robotics focus).
Haven't done many boats lately - worked my way through ten or fifteen of Phil Bolger's small craft a few years ago (reassigned so had to leave my waterfront) in 1:12 scale, doorskin plywood.
Yogi (easily distracted ...)
I think I will forever think of you as the chap who builds Space Craft though. It would appear that all of us need to give our brains a rest on a certain model type. Hmm! Robotics focus caught my attention. I am a Robot Inspector (yes really) for the FIRST Robotics Competitions. Any connection. (sorry, as always for going of the topic - ever so slightly)

Anhoo nice one Yogi and catch you around.

Oh! And it was your modified Casinni model build that dragged me into this hobby. I did not such a good job but first ever paper model.

Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Great model Yogi, and the historical refence really adds a lot to it as well!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Looks great! Sorry, but that is the FG version, isn't it, Yogi? It looks a little different from the one I downloaded.

Garland
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Jim, Philip.

Garland,
It's the Army repaint from the Versions file from Fiddler's Green. I did print it at 50% (fits a desk better and is more robust with card).
Yogi
Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Thanks, Yogi. It turns out I don't have that version file because I bought the aircraft disc rather than downloading the files. Oh, well.

But thanks for the idea of reducing it. You're right. Mine was too big, and I ended up giving it to my son, who didn't have room for it and in turn, gave it to his neighbor, an ex chopper pilot.

Garland
Old 05-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Eternal Member

Sounds like a win all around, Garland. You get to build, son gets some enjoyment (from the chopper and the re-gift), and a chopper pilot gets an interesting historical piece.
Yogi
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Yogi, as I'm sure we all know, one of the great joys of paper modeling is the expressions of those who receive them as gifts. I've never met the chopper pilot, but my son said he was amazed that something like that could be built out of paper. My immediate reaction was, "Well, of course he was!" Americans just haven't been exposed to card modeling enough, so I've been scattering these things all over Santee and El Cajon CA, just to do my bit at letting people know what's available.

Garland
Google Adsense