PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Stock

Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
my first one of these was awful... yours is much better! Bravo!

Wyvern
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
I too am interested in this one - my father was a gunner in this during WW2. Your build is excellent considering you choose to do it stock on an old FG design. Learning from your example.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Next come the wings which consist of a center section, and the two outer wings. I made the outer wings first, lightly scoring the leading edges and the grey glue tabs that join them to the center section. I left the underside flat, and then curled the topside into an airfoil shape. Then I joined the trailing edges with a thin bead of glue. With the outer wings done, I moved on to the center section. I lightly scored the leading edge of this piece, and poked a couple of holes for the landing gear. I glued a 1mm thick block over the holes to insert the landing gear into later. Then I glued the underside of the outer wings to the center section.

The Dauntless had a pretty extreme dihedral, so I made a very simple jig to help me get the wingtips elevated to the correct angle.

With an outer wing resting on the jig, and the center section held down flat, I pulled the center section flap up and over and glued it to the outer wing and trailing edge. Then I weighted the center section, and let the glue dry. Repeat for other wing.

Moreto come shortly.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I like the idea of making a dihedral guide. My experience with these "rougher" earlier FG designs is that the faster you try to build them (my downfall), the worse they look. You are doing a great job on this one!
Chris
Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Brilliant dehedral guide, I have made such spars for FG and Trotskiy models, but never so elegant, simple, and effective as yours.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks for your kind words everyone. Like pretty much everything in life, the final outcome is roughly equal to the time invested. Older FG models look easy, but they can sometimes be equally as hard to get right as the computer designed and detailed models of today.

Joining the wing to the fuselage was a frustration free step. The wing fits nice and snug into the fuselage cutout. The fairings, always a challenge, were tricky, but came out very nice in the end. They are short, but that's the way Chip designed them.

After rolling a belly in the fairing, I started by gluing it at the trailing edge, where the wing curves back to meet the fuselage. When that was thoroughly dry, I gently coaxed the fairing around and under the fuselage to mate up with the wing center section, and glued it in place.

After allowing ample time for drying, I pressed in the fairing all along the wing/fuselage junction and glued it in place. This shot shows how the fairing installation looks before the final step.

Here's a shot of the installed wing. You can see that the engine blank is also in place now. More to come - maybe not until Friday though - work again.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:27 PM

OK. I did a little more.

The 2 piece cowl went together perfectly. I cut those flappy things (cowl flaps?) free so they could be flared out for realism. When forming the nose piece I used the glue tab and overlapped the paper, but I butt glued the cowl ring to the nose instead of using the sawtooth glue tabs - just a personal preference. I painted the inside of the cowling a light blue/grey.

The engine sits back from the open front of the cowl, but there is no specific parts or directions to guide the builder on how to suspend the propeller from the engine out past the cowling. I just wrapped some paper around a Q-Tip shaft to increase the diameter, and cut it to length - seemed like the easiest solution.

Here's a couple of photos from front and back showing the model with the cowling glued in place. It's shaping up. That's it 'till Fri/Sat.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent! I really appreciate these large, clear images and detailed narrative of the build. These will be worth their weight in gold when I try my hand.

Don
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Ditto what Don said! You're doing and absolutely exemplary job on this one, Don. I don't think I've seen one of these early kits done quite so well. can't wait to see the next step.
Chris
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM

The tailplanes are on. These early FG models have glue flaps which are bent down to attach the tailplanes to the fuselage. I don't like them, but I used them. Don't score these glue tabs on the score lines. Instead, score them about .075mm inboard. Slit the leading edge to meet the score line, and then form the wing normally. Otherwise, when the tailplane is attached flat as it should be (no dihedral), you will have a large unsightly gap on the topside wing/fuselage junction.

Google Adsense