PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Strk's Projects

Old 11-02-2009, 04:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Funny, that USAF missed a vessel armed with such a lethal ASM like SSN22 Sunburn. :D

BTW correct pronunciation of "Lun" is closer to "Woon" (with short "oo") than "Loon".

Different sources state, that a massive thrust (and fuel consumption in a result) is necessary only for take-off and establishing WIG effect (air cushion). During WIG-flight ekranoplan uses less fuel. A90 Orlionok is a good example: it's propelled by turboprop engine - jet engines give drag only for
take-off, or flight at higher altitudes without WIG effect(like typical plane, which is also possible in case of "Lun" - hard to belive- up to 24000ft!).

Read this:
WIG

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that USSR-made jet-engines have higher fuel consumption than any comparable west-made.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 AM

Two pics showing current progress on "Dove":

Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Wow, nice!
Can't wait to build one...
Pitty the real thing ended up like this;:(
Attached Thumbnails
Strike ekranoplan 903 Łuń (Dove) class.-dsc09551.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Banned

WIG aircraft because of the altitude they fly in leave virtually no wake turbulencee, like any aircraft in ground effect except the WIG craft are designed with wings that really take advantage of this. They use considerably less fuel than an aircraft of comparable size and can lift far more (if the wings and fuesalage are designed for it). The airflow meets meets the surface after leaving the trailing edge and this is where the reduction of drag comes in. I was able once, to fly a Piper Warrior for 2000 ft. in ground effect and it was quite an experience. You can really throttle down and keep off the ground. You must pay attention to pitch as it is crucial in ground effect. This is because the pressure moves towards the rear of the wing a and causes the plane to act differently than regular flight. In WIG aircraft if the elevator is not big enough they will violently pitch up. This is because the pressure center under the wing moves backward as speed increases, changing the center of gravity. The Russians have turned this into an science and if one were to make an WIG craft NACA airfoils would be useless. WIG aircraft also have to be biased to "Nose down" which is opposite from GA Aircraft which tend to nose up if the controls are left untouched. In WIG craft the severe nose up can be fatal, whereas if you nose down, you glance off the water. The problem with jet engines are if they are not within the operational range of their design they are inefficient. Comparing regular aircraft to WIGs in geoeund effect is Apples to Oranges.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
I was in an intel position at one point in my USAF career and learned about the Ekranoplan, though I was unaware of the "Loon" missile carrying version.

One of the problems we knew the "aircraft" faced was its enormous fuel consumption. Soviet engine technology at the time was decades behind the west, both in design philosophy and materials technology. When the USAF tore down the Belenko's Mig 25, they were astounded to find stainless steel and high carbon steel components in the engine.

Flying in ground effect in any jet aircraft eats fuel at a prodigious rate. The Eplan had to have a monstrous appetite with its Soviet engines.

This is a great thread and I really enjoyed the links to the various reference sites. Thanks, guys!
The Mig-25 started design life as the interceptor to combat the B-70 - the technology was fairly old when the West got to look at it in 1976. It's a bit misleading to directly compare Soviet and Western technologies because they are derived from very different engineering philosophies.

I agree that jet engines are fuel hogs at low altitudes it's always been a puzzle to me why the Ekranolans used jet
engines.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Didn't the late USSR also field an assault transport WIG, powered with a turboprop? I think it was called the "Orlyok" or something similar.

Wyvern
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
I agree that jet engines are fuel hogs at low altitudes it's always been a puzzle to me why the Ekranolans used jet
engines.
Charlie
Perhaps it's the physics of the thing. There was one Eplan with a prop mounted high on the vertical stab. Imagine the engineering required to get the same thrust from turboprops as they did from those 8 forward thrust engines while keeping the props out of the water!

That would have been quite a show.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 AM

Hi strk very interesting topic. By the way I see that you are using "photobucket". I have advice for you. Go to "account options" and single out "Images Link Back To Album"
Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
Perhaps it's the physics of the thing. There was one Eplan with a prop mounted high on the vertical stab. Imagine the engineering required to get the same thrust from turboprops as they did from those 8 forward thrust engines while keeping the props out of the water!

That would have been quite a show.

Um, that's the link provided earlier in the thread by STRK

Экраноплан (53 фотографии) | Webpark - юмор картинки фото, приколы видео онлайн, комментарии к фотографиям:

The craft is the A90 Orlyonok, which used jet engines to "Lift" it vertically a couple of feet and then was pushed with the tailed mounted prop. The jet engines are there to augment the ground effect.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Now Lun is almost armed to the teeth. Six 3M80 Moskit(SS-N 22 Sunburn) on her back looks awesome:

Nose tip (after four tries) and ball-turret looks pretty good - instead of being still average modeler.
Google Adsense