PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Promote paper modeling in schools, etc.

I have the good fortune to be a custodian at an elementary school. I gave a copy of my self-published book, Creating Cardboard and Paper Model Cars, to the art teacher. She started her students on a couple of the models in the book, plus other simple paper model car kits I provided.

It is flattering that the kids loved doing them. A couple of children made encouraging compliments about the book. About ten of the models are in a display case in the school's front hall.

I took some pictures of the models. When I get time, I will scan them, and show you the interesting creative touches the kids put on their models.

Promote paper modeling among the young wherever and whenever you can. It fascinates children that they can make models from easily accessible materials.

If you screw it up, call it an experiment, and start over.
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Yeah! This is a great idea I was thinking of running off a hundred or so models for next year to give to my kids school looking forward to the pics!
Chris
Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
you guys are lucky to have art programs still in your area schools...
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Schools are cerntainly great places to bring interest

Primary school was in fact the first place I heard and practised papermodeling... In China it seemed paper models are well known at schools -- and nowhere else :D People think they're children's play because they all did it when they were young :o
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Yogi is going to love this thread. He was just telling me about how he is promoting paper modeling in schools with his wonderful models.

Congratulations on your book too mate. Like most things, we need fresh blood to keep this, and all other interests alive. Well done to you Sir for taking the initiative.

Thanks for this thread.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Yup - outstanding work, Mark!

You might also visit the science teachers with a couple of stomp rockets as well. Simple tubes but the same opportunity for the kids to color and decorate them - then launch them off and run shouting after them (education with a little chaos, always a good mix).

Kudos to you again!

Yogi
Old 06-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Last Friday-Sunday I had a great time sharing our hobby with my son's 7th grade class, they did a WW2 weekend, they had guest speakers, did their versions of reenacting parts of both Main theaters, had to do "missions" and watched a couple of great classic movies, The longest Day, and Midway... I got to spend a few hours each day showing the kids how to build airplanes.. No pics because of Privacy issues. But they had fun learning about the planes and a new hobby.. Even sucked in one of the teachers..
Jeff
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Crowel View Post
I gave a copy of my self-published book, Creating Cardboard and Paper Model Cars, to the art teacher.
I think school is a great place to get a child interested in a new hobby. I'd like to approach a couple of the art teachers at our local school about using card models more in the classroom.

Is this book you mention available through you, Amazon, download? I'd be interested in getting a copy to share with some of our art teachers.

Thanks,
SFX
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I can print a copy of my book for you. I print my books on my home copier. Please direct email me for details. Thanks.

If you screw it up, call it an experiment, and start over.

Last edited by rickstef; 06-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hey Mark. I hope you don't mind me mentioning but usually an admin will delete a private email as it can easily get spammed now you have it published on a thread. Better to have people PM you via the forum system.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense