PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.50 GB
Seriously concerned.....

Hello all. I would like to talk about something that is happening more or less often here in the forums. I´m talking about nationalism.....It is a good thing when doesn´t get out of control and becomes fanatical...I have seen in several threads that some one makes a commentary on the technological development of any country in particular and some member that are from those particular countries, well, they kind of not like that. That is totally understandable, but please!!!Don´t turn our comunity into some kind of political discussion forum!!!there are other places to do that, and, in any case we have an off topic section where those kind of discusion can place.

Please do not infect this forum with fanatical mumbo yumbo!!!
Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
I have not seen what is bothering you.

It would be better to send a PM to the person making the nationalist statement rather than starting an open discussion.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I agree with the sentiment, but like Zakopious, I have to say I haven't picked up on anything particular. Of course, I don't read every thread, either. Hopefully, whatever comment you're referring to was just an insensitive faux pas, and not intentionally designed to insult. I also agree that your concern is best dealt with privately, and targeted to the offender, rather than on the open forum, where there's always the risk that even more hurtful remarks might be made. One of the things I like best about this forum is how it manages to stay tightly focused on modeling, and modeling only, regardless of nationality.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
If I understand correctly he was mentioning the thread in which Iran's aircraft were being made fun of.. am I correct?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Either I am more callous than I'd thought, or it's in a post I didn't read ...
Google Adsense
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
If it's making fun of a countries aircraft, all's fair in love and war......Every county that has ever manufactured aircraft has made an Edsel or two.

I do agree with what has been said, don't bring this kind of stuff up in an open forum...... Contact the offender in a PM and go out behind the woodshed and deal with it.

This is a modeling forum, not a political arena. There are apps for that. Use them elsewhere.

SFX
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Actually contacting someone whose posts you find offensive invites conflict. I've found that using the "ignore list" found under the user control panel works for me. I only needed to add a couple of usernames to the list to make my experience here quite pleasant.

Curt
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Nationalism can be a good thing. Promoting one nation over another can seem irresistable at times, but I haven't noticed anything blatant or abusive. Then again, I don't read every post, who has the time? o.k. some do, but I don't. That is just because I am a busy Texan and that makes me better than most....
Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
OK I made fun of a Iran's air power....but come on, it was a joke get over it. If I hurt someone's feelings then I'm sorry, but man up, it was a joke......Rich
Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
For being an international forum, with all kinds of ideals, cultures and opinions, I think we do a pretty good job of having fun and promoting our hobby. I have not noticed anything that bothered me enough to complain about it. The PM idea might work,but like Curt says, could invite conflict. I've never used the ignore list, but that sounds like something to look into. If you think it's really bad, maybe you should report it. Best policy I've ever heard came from my dear mother. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything."

Bob