PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 08-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
I agree with DC, if you want to have an artist still contribute, it might be wise to praise their work or at the very least express appreciation for the donation.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.85 GB
First, I apologize for keeping a thread alive that is way past its prime. I am still new to this forum experience-wise and even though my start date is older, I am still going through older threads to gain an understanding of the community.

Statements such as "90% of the world is polite" and in "the real world people say thank you" I find confusing. It is those same authors that claim single digit thank you's for thousands of downloads. If 90% of people are polite and paper modelers are a representative sample of that population, then there should be nine hundred thank you's per thousand downloads. Clearly that is not the case.

There is a big difference between the real world and the world you would like it to be. An artist that creates a work and offers it for free deserves and is entitled to appreciation. It would generally be considered rude not to say thank you. So is needlessly diminishing those who may not share your opinion concerning the differences between gratitude and obligation. Why not just charge a meager amount for all models even if it is only twenty-five cents a model? Offer it free if a minimum of twenty words are entered into a thank you box. Better yet, eliminate the download button and send the person straight to an essay box requiring a fifty word minimum. Laughing or angered as you may be at this point, these recommendations would alleviate this strife. Demanding spontaneous heartfelt gratitude seems a fool's errand. It also may direct newer less cultured members to seedier sites where models are free for download and of obligation, there is no time delay between downloads, no minimum post requirement, and no hassles. Artists will not even get recognition from these sites which continue to be a blight to this hobby. We should not strive to add to their numbers.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

how about they count your downloads and if no likes or good ratings or thanks in the comments section from you , yer booted?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.85 GB
None? While my ratio is vastly disproportionate it is not none. Would it not be clearer to state upfront that a certain ratio needs to be maintained to avoid problems. Do not rules communicate expectations prior to disappointment? A rule like "If one points out nonconstructive hyperbole in a thread your ratio may be reviewed' would be fair enough.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Banned

I still think its mostly a non-communication gap going on. people in other countries that feel that just saying nothing is polite instead of criticizing is enough, and some countries consider it very rude to demand a thank you when you are offering a gift to them. some other countries, it isn't manly to say thanks. and yet others to meekly accept with out eye contact or words is the greatest humility and compliment to the giver.
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
It really makes no difference to me, when I upload a model I do it because I want to and if others like it as well and download it then I am happy. A thank you would be nice but is not required. To me just knowing that others are enjoying something I designed is thanks enough.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz
......uhh.....err....what..........uh.......zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz.....................
Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceagent-9 View Post
how about they count your downloads and if no likes or good ratings or thanks in the comments section from you , yer booted?
Sounds like a popularity contest. I don't like popularity contests.

Also, download counts can be manipulated. I know for a fact 140 people have not downloaded my Frontier correction...
Old 10-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Sounds like a popularity contest. I don't like popularity contests.

Also, download counts can be manipulated. I know for a fact 140 people have not downloaded my Frontier correction...
Actually if it says 140 downloads it means that 140 times it has been downloaded or attempted to.

Jason
Old 10-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Actually if it says 140 downloads it means that 140 times it has been downloaded or attempted to.

Jason
Oh, I don't dispute the count. I'm just sayin' not by 140 (different) people.