PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question No manners?

Call me unreasonable, but if anyone reading this has downloaded anybody's free models and not posted a thank you, I just want to know why? This is the reason why I pulled my models off my site - 300,000+ downloads and only 6 acknowledgements. At the very least someone has to finance these sites, not to mention all the hard work of administration...I just want to know why?
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Similarly I admin a website which offers cardmodel downloads (Landships II) -
I've got the admin down to a fairly manageable level by technology choices.

I think you may be expecting too much from Internet users - you are exposing your website to people from many cultures - many of which do not appear to have a similar concept of manners that most Western countries have. Do you have a mechanism to allow downloaders to send/leave messages about your downloads?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
alot of times language barriers prevent comunication. and in some cultures you dont say thank you for free things. but i agree with you, a ''like'' or simple thank you would be appropriate for a gift.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.96 MB
I agree, something akin to a 'like' button similar to the one from facebook and such would fot very well with that kind of resource.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
The download section here allows you to post a comment, I myself always try to post a thank you, sometimes in the open forum I say thank you but the ones posted on the download page can only be seen there..........Rich
Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Are you suggesting that these posts of thanks should be here in these forums? I guess that it never occurred to me to do so because I have no knowledge that the designer(s) are present or active here on these forums. I know I've sent thanks directly to several designers, and posted my thanks in a few build threads, but unless there's a feedback form on a site that I know to be owned and operated by the designer of the models it hosts, I guess it seems to me that there's a gap wherein I don't necessarily know who designed the model, nor how to post thanks in such a way that would be sure to reach them.

You, for example - I may have downloaded some of your models, maybe even off of the site you recently closed, but I'm sorry to say I don't really know who you are or what models you have designed. And even were I able to find one of your models, unless it has your forum name on it, I wouldn't know to link that model to you here on this forum to send thanks your way.

If I did download your models and you did have a feedback form on your site and I failed to use it, then I apologize for that. As a modeler who thrives almost exclusively on free models, I definitely owe those designers who offer models for free my extreme gratitude.
Current builds: Mirco Firefly Serenity 1:96, Saturn V 1:72
ADD victims: WM Columbia 1:100, AXM Atlas V 1:300, OBP Spruce Goose, Uhu02 X-Wing... and many others
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
First, I'll preface this by saying I haven't designed or released any models, so I won't be offended if you think my opinion doesn't 'count'.

I think the gratitude is in how many people download and build your model, anything above that is gravy. While I'm sure that there are some ill mannered people that download, I'm also pretty sure that most of them are appreciative even if they don't show it. I don't mean to say people shouldn't say thanks, but the expectation might be putting the bar a little high. . .

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
I would very much like there to be something as easily blamed but just cannot accept the "different culture" explanation. It ignores some very generous people.
There are allegedly over 44,000 members of this forum the majority of whom are from one particular culture, and that culture would claim commonality with your own.
It is the day of the internet, anyone can behave as they wish and do so anonymously.
And they do.
The values you would like to see are not here.
Simple but sad it is the day of the "grabble" in all media, in all places.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
I was the owner, operator, designer of Paper Creek Model Works which produced paper building structure kits for model railroaders for about 5 years. I had a simple free outhouse kit on my website for download and according to my web stats it was downloaded well over 5,000 times. It has shown up all over the place on layouts, in magazine articles, and even on this site. I received only a few thank yous, but that wasn't important to me. Instead, what I got was better advertising than money could buy. I got so many orders from people saying they saw this little outhouse and they wanted more. I even got contracts to supply hobby shops because customers brought in my outhouses. I guess free models are more about exposure of our work, and the fact that people want them and ask for more is a way of showing their appreciation.

-George
Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
First of all thanks Andrew for the models. They are beautifully textured and well designed. I I agree with Mechanic that you should be proud of the download numbers, those show how much interest there is to your models. Impressive results. I also noticed that your models are popular in the gaming crowd and explains partially the volumes - links to your site have been passed on from site to site in the past. You stopped sharing your models 2009 am I right - have you had any requests after that? Anyways I'm missing one - the stone farmhouse model to compliment an imaginary highland scene I've been wanting to do. Could it be possible to have that one too in the downloads?

Tappi
Google Adsense