PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
You can get non metallic burnishing tools. The tips are made of hard Teflon plastic. What they are sold as are burnishing tools for embossing thin metals such as copper and pewter. The reason they use Teflon is so that they don't have to add any lubricant to help them glide over the metal surface. I have a couple, they work just fine on paper and are durable. Just like with embossing paper thin metal can tear rather easily so this was the upgrade material they developed for the task.

You can also get natural agate stone burnishers in a variety of shapes. They are found on the jewelry making supply websites. Again they glide nicely on metal without lubrication and are also suitable for use on paper. These natural agate burnishers have stood the test of time through the centuries and are still the favorite of many craftsmen.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I hadn't thought of agate, but that makes sense. For common lab work in college we either used porcelain or marble mortar and pestles, but when cross-contamination was an issue my advisor let me use his agate one. Agate burnishers should do well with paper