PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The pictures I'm posting are previews in 300 dpi. The final version will be a vector pdf in the download area.

When I post a png file that's wider than 640 px, it's resized to that width and converted to jpg (see the 3rd pic in my previous comment). If I post a jpg, it isn't resized (see the first 2 pics, 2291 px wide).
Old 02-19-2017, 01:17 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I have a funny feeling that the resizing might be a forum software issue

the above image in png format has a dimension of 2200x1218
Normally the forum software resizes images down to a smaller resolution, like Carlos has mentioned, so this is a test to see what happens with an outside image link
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Ok, I am starting to see where the problem might lie
Carlos has images linked as attachments, whereas I have a url link to an image.

I have uploaded the same truck image, and a screen shot of the manage attachment window, and both images were saved as png, and are uploaded as jpgs, and the attachment window also shows that there is a 5 MB limit on png files, maybe removing the size restrictions would help with maintaining the file type.
The truck should have been accepted as it was, it is only 3.60MB in size, so that shouldn't have been an issue
Attached Thumbnails
PNG vs JPG-tf4_optimus_truck.jpg   PNG vs JPG-manageattachments.jpg  
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe View Post
..... I'm posting are previews in 300 dpi. The final version will be a vector pdf in the download area.
Does it matter if preview images are a little fuzzy? It's the quality in the download area that matters. If it does matter post you previews as pdfs in your messages. There they are limited only by file size not by the pixel size of any image they contain. Vector images in pdfs are not usualy very large anyway.

Don't worry folks I'm off to find a brickwall now.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Note: This is not relevant to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelfang View Post
Png format is considered 'lossless'. ... Png is generally better at compressing the file, though, so you can still achieve fairly small file sizes but without losing image quality. But png's more efficient compression does not quite match jpg's compression+lossiness in terms of created small file sizes.
JPEG algorithms do best with uniform or smoothly blending colors (like painted textures or photographs, which have noise of their own): compression rates are very high, even at reasonable quality levels like 70, and the inevitable noise is less conspicuous. But when colors change abruptly, like with line art and text, PNG may compress better and never introduces noise (try it: draw hard edges on any raster editor, or just take a screen capture of your browser window right now, then save as JPG, and open the result. Zoom enough near text or sharp edges and you'll notice a swarm of pixels: they are inherent to the JPEG format, no matter your software).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugelfang View Post
BTW, the reason Inkscape favors png is that jpg is a proprietary format (or at least was, the rights may have expired by now). Inkscape, being fairly serious about its open source roots, avoids incorporating proprietary technologies.
Actually JPEG is standardized, and implemented by a free (as in freedom) library in Inkscape; however, it's probably patent-encumbered. IMHO a bigger factor is that each time a JPEG file is reopened and saved, quality degrades; changing a single pixel worsens the whole image.
Google Adsense