PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
There's a few other factors involved than just the difference between A4 and letter, etc... such as Fit to page, zoom, etc. Resolution (DPI) can sometimes come in to play too. As previously mentioned, to rescale something to a certain scale, you can't just "print it out whatever size you want", especially if you want to go to a significantly larger scale. You need to know the size you are starting from, and not everybody is a whiz with graphics software

I think the original request was that designers specify a scale when uploading a model, which isn't too much to ask, really. Adding a ruler or scale indication of some sort to the parts pages would come in handy too. At the end of the day it comes down to how much effort a designer wants to put into their product, which in turn translates to how popular a product will be.

However, having said that, when it comes to free downloads, you're at the mercy of the designer, they've put a lot of time and effort into something and are giving it away free of charge. Sometimes it pays to put in a bit of effort yourself, to get the results you want. I've done so myself, when rescaling to a size that requires a trip to a print shop for larger format printing. Do some test prints on plain paper in grayscale first, take measurements and plan accordingly.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadil View Post
Yes, would appreciate it if the scale is mentioned and was mentioned how much to increase or decrease to get particular popular scale sizes like 1/72, 1/48, etc.
If the scale is mentioned on the kit, there's about a billion online calculators and websites online that can tell you how much you need to increase or decrease your print to achieve the scale you want.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-18-2018, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 577.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
If the scale is mentioned on the kit, there's about a billion online calculators and websites online that can tell you how much you need to increase or decrease your print to achieve the scale you want.
Thanks so much. Appreciate your views.

Cheers,
Aadil.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
If the model is distributed as images (jpg, bmp, etc) you need to know right DPI value designer used to ensure the same size of your prints as designer intended. Othervise you need to testprint and figure yourself as mentioned.

If the model is in .pdf, designer can state the scale without problem, because as long as "original scale" is set in .pdf print dialogue, the size of print will be as designer intended.

Extensions for X-wing
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I for one would appreciate the scale information for each file and model.

Some folks sharing their build logs never mention the scale for their models. So that would also be nice to have

As for scale not important since we can scale things on the computer, that is incorrect . The details get blurry when small scale goes to large . Also, it is easier to just print the files as is and build them if I know their scale.

Lastly, yes we need formers and frames for a variety of reason. This is true if you want to build a correct looking scale plane. If you just build for fun, then sure you don't need frames

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2020, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I continue to request that the uploader of the file can easily state the scale of the model in the comments or better yet, on the first page of the file.

Regardless of our abilities of scaling up or down, please have the scale stated.

I have raised this in another thread as well.

Download section scales

Thanks

Isaac
Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
If you haven't checked out the Stahlhart site in a while the T-37 now has multiple models available. If these are anything like he has released before, they are well worth your time to to take a look. I know I have!