PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 09-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Johannes - you are correct! I didn't make 100% clear what I was talking about there was the Copyright reform - which was getting modellers worried.

----------------------

In relation to GDPR, I agree 100% with your views. It is a good thing, it is actually very easy to implement and easy to audit (I have done both for a number of companies now). If the practical aspects in relation to implementation ever interest you, PM and we can discuss off Forum.

What puzzles me is the reluctance of companies to implement it, or in Europe/UK implement it properly.

Even worse is the lack of understanding amongst foreign companies - banks, travel agents and airlines are obvious examples if you think about it. Wait for the first fines?

The other concern is that given it is easy to implement, why are large companies outside Europe ducking the issue - does this imply in some instance their data handling is suspect? All debatable and interesting, but not a subject for debate on this Forum.

Again if you want to, we can go off the Forum and discuss.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
It seems that our French friends aren't able to access the forum as well, I have suggested they try the VPN route like their Germany neighbors.

I have been talking with Jason, and we are confused as to why only 2 countries, out of the 195 countries across the globe, have access problems with the forum.

I have asked him if there is anything we as a forum can suggest, or assist with, he is checking with others at this time.

Beyond that, my knowledge is quickly hitting its limits.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I had issues connecting to some far off places,getting VPN cured all issues.

VPNs often have settings and functions to be tended to-don't skip that.Learning how to use your VPN can be hard part.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Probably another red herring, but as y'all running out of suggestions ...

Last year I gave up using AVG free antivirus because it was giving too many false positives, including PM and Zealot forums. I switched to Avast free for a bit, but that didn't prove to be any better. Around this time Defender started getting good reviews and was listed 2nd, below Kaspersky but above MacAfee and way above AVG or Avast. I just couldn't bring myself to trust the Russian software so I switched to Defender and have had no trouble since. From a belt & braces point of view, I do also have 10bit Malware Fighter ticking over in the background, but it has never flagged up anything that slipped through Defender, so I assume Defender is doing the job OK.

AVG and Avast are often listed well up among the best free antivirus available, but they don't like the unsecured http: websites. So could it be that these are causing the access problems for our members?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.05 MB
A quick message to tell you that I wasn't able to access PM.com this morning from my home computer but I can now (obviously) from my office computer.
I'm in France by the way.
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.05 MB
This message to let you know that I can access PM.com from my office computer but not from home.

I'm in Marseille, France
Old 09-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.38 MB
I cannot access via computer and Telekom ISP from Germany. But from my old Samsung C3050 phone using Opera mini and Telekom Xtra day flat it works. Just very difficult to type... Maybe hoster blocks certain IP ranges due to some DDoS attack?

best wishes Michiru

EDIT: Using a proxy site via computer works, too.

Last edited by Michiru-Kaiou; 09-15-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting comment Michuru.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 47.51 MB
Hi,

sorry i haven't checked on this forum for a few days. Sadly the problem still exists. So a DNS Error is very unlikely.
About the Anti-Virus Theory: An Anti Virus Program can certainly have this effect, but the error happens on multiple devices, on two of which i don't use any Anti Virus Software. So this theory is also out.

The hoster blocking certain IPs is my best guess as well. But then it doesn't really make sense why i can access some sites that are hosted on the same Server. It really is a strange issue.

Johannes
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
It seems that our French friends aren't able to access the forum as well, I have suggested they try the VPN route like their Germany neighbors.

I have been talking with Jason, and we are confused as to why only 2 countries, out of the 195 countries across the globe, have access problems with the forum.

I have asked him if there is anything we as a forum can suggest, or assist with, he is checking with others at this time.

Beyond that, my knowledge is quickly hitting its limits.

Rick
Hi Rick,

Just a short message to let you know that, as many other members of the forum in France, I have been desparate for two weeks not being able to connect with the forum. Eventually I have succeeded in joining up it again using the OPERA search engine and its VPN option. I am more than happy to be back in the family but I'm concerned about other members who are not aware this tool can fix the problem ... and since they cannot consult the forum there is no way to help them.

Hope this info will help others anyway.

Take care.