PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Location is one thing. Browser is another.

If you can't access a site from one location, and its a location based issue, it won't matter what browser you use.
if you are being blocked by this site, or by your ISP, or any other type of block, it will affect any browser you use.
Sure, a VPN can get around a geo-blocking issue, but its a misleading fix.

If you can access a site from your location (using only one browser) then its not a location or geoblocking issue.
Its a browser issue (or related add-on, browser setting, system setting related to the browser, etc)

Some sites I cannot access with Brave because the "Shields" are too strict.
I can adjust all the Shields and settings, but there are too many settings for me to bother with...I just switch back to Chrome.
But the problem is a browser/system relate problem.

Strip down your browser...turn off all security settings, allow everything(cookies, etc).
Remove plug-ins and extensions.
Stop Antivirus and Malware related services related to the browser.
In fact, turn off your antivirus and malware software completely.

Once you are sure everything is neutral, try to connect to the site.
If you can, start turning things back on until you can't.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:51 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by PICARDIE View Post
Hi Rick,

Just a short message to let you know that, as many other members of the forum in France, I have been desparate for two weeks not being able to connect with the forum. Eventually I have succeeded in joining up it again using the OPERA search engine and its VPN option. I am more than happy to be back in the family but I'm concerned about other members who are not aware this tool can fix the problem ... and since they cannot consult the forum there is no way to help them.

Hope this info will help others anyway.

Take care.
I would suggest you share with the other members your "fix", the VPN option is at this time the easiest method to reconnect with the forum

I have mentioned it a few times, our German friends, now you, and other French members have been successful in visiting the forum.
I am not sure what else to suggest to try.

we have presented what works, and I have shared this on Facebook, and on the French forum.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rick - the VPN fix does work.

But I don't know why! And as I mentioned, for the second time around the issue has occurred for me and then after about 6 weeks resolved itself.

For members with problems, however, there are two points to note:

1. Members with issues may not know about the VPN fix (they will not be able to access PM) and they also (as many people do) may not have the foggiest idea of what a VPN is or how to use.

2. Free VPN is available, but this is limited. Members in a number of locations may not be able to afford a paid VPN service. I appreciate these VPN services often appear cheap, but not in places like Africa, where there are different levels of costs and lower incomes, as well. I, for example, cannot afford a paid VPN right now.

----------------------------------------

Having thought about this further, and also consulted the cybersecurity gurus in the know at a couple of companies, the feeling is that the hosting service or their cybersecurity solutions are blocking IP ranges.

But this is only a hypothesis.

Note that.....

a) Not all users in a country are necessarily blocked.

We know now for certain that currently:
  • Some German user are blocked
  • Some French users are blocked.
  • Some South African Users were blocked (twice) but as far as is known users are now unblocked.

Bear in mind we do not know DEFINITELY if other areas may have been affected.

b) Cognisance must be taken of the fact that a number of people have been affected, some with good IT skills and knowledge. This has resulted in them trying comprehensive various fixes to no avail.

As an aside, I initially was able to rule out my equipment, software and service providers as possible causes by asking a number of people I knew (eventually 30 odd) to attempt to access PM from their machines. Details of their O/S browser and Service Provider were all sent to me and there was no common thread.

With the exception of two people, they were all unable to access PM. Interestingly enough the two people who could access were in a totally different geographical area (the Cape).

----------------------------

While I remain loathe to suggest a definite cause without something concrete, the pointers do swing more towards the Hosting Provider. or (more likely in my opinion) the Cyber Security solutions they use.

Perhaps Jason can make enquiries with them - this is, however, a long shot as they will be using cybersecurity services and I can tell you that it is difficult often to ascertain often what is happening as these (3rd party) services react to threats.

However, given affected IP addresses, they should be able to search with the help of their Cyber Security Providers. They can certainly lift the blacklist on any affected IP's if the cause is due to control or action at their end.

------------------------------

Lastly is it possible to send a blanket mail to members from the PM Forum? This could be done suggesting the use of the VPN to anyone affected, as well as providing an e-mail address for people to report any issue to if they have access problems. The problem could then be quantified.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:14 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

for those running Chrome, i just checked the Webstore, there are 3 extensions rated 4 stars or higher
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-25-2019, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.38 MB
In the light of this: is there any way to disable the redirect of external links? It would be nice to just load the PM.com thread, leave it open, disable the proxy/VPN and navigate to the link the normal way. However, since the redirect links only work with accessing the forum server first they are unusable, too, forcing one to go through (not very secure, by the way) VPN/proxy for a huge portion of external websites linked to on here, too.

Would be nice if the forum administration could at least disable that until the access problems are solved (which isn't the case, yet).

Thanks in advance!

best wishes Michiru

EDIT: Some links don't even work, because the websites linked to are blocked by some proxy services, like this one in John Wagenseil's "Web Page with Collection of Paper Model Sites":
Code:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fpc-maker.net%2Findex.html
Which isn't that bad for this particular link, because the link text hasn't been automatically shortened, but others... *shrugs* You'd have to manually try, copy, paste into a text editor and replace %2F with a /, %3A with :, etc, so you get http: // pc-maker . net/ index . html (spaces included to prevent automatic creation of a hyperlink).

Last edited by Michiru-Kaiou; 09-25-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I will pass the suggestion on to Jason
Old 10-03-2019, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello friends,

I come along with "tor". But that wasn't my favourite browser indeed. I only use it to contact the "papermodelers". This is my first contact after the breakdown of the connectivity with german users. I hope you will succeed soon finding a work around for enable the german users partizipating this forum without using an "extra" browser.

Nevertheless, everybody who is responsible for this forum, does a good job!
Greetings
peaceglue
Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

Peaceglue - good idea using "Tor"!

Never thought of trying that when I had issues.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Yep, Kevin WS, and a second advantage, I`ve had nothing to learn about VPN..., it simply works. KISS (keep it simple and smart)!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Eternal Member

I am curious here - are you guys all still having access issues?

If you are please say so - I have access later next week to a Penetration Testing Team and have bargained in a couple of hours as a "test". May use them for their opinions.