PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Good Suggestion Rick.

RSS feeds have been enabled. If anyone would like to add the RSS feed, here is some information on enabling them (borrowed from the FAQ).

The feeds are currently provided in two formats, RSS and RSS v2. The differences are as follows:
  • RSS 0.91 - This feed is based on a standard written by netscape and provides a link and the title of the thread.
    http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/external.php?type=rss
  • RSS 2.0 - This feed contains title, author, date and the contents of the first post of the thread.
    http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2
To add this to MyYahoo click here.
The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another parameter to the URL containing the forumids as follows:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=123

If you would like the content to be generated for multiple forums you can separate the forumids by commas.

I will look for a simple one click way to add the RSS to your readers, but it might not be till later today.

Jason
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
We are working on the Parts bin, doing some offline testing(at least Jason is)
WOOHOOO!!! PARTS BIN, PARTS BIN, PARTS BIN!!!! Although can we call it something other than that?? Only becuase that is really part of the old CM. Perhaps "File Area" or "Members Files" or "Model Downloads" or something else??

Will it have a storage capcity to cope with larger model files?? Because attachement size in posts is really nowhere near big enough for complex models.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 09-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Facilitator

Might have to open a new thread to pick a name for the area. So if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

As to the file sizes, I am hoping to be able to deal with files of all sizes, but it should not be a problem to upload larger files.

Jason

ps. We are also looking to creating an separate article section for model / build reviews. Just so you know.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy The Bear View Post
WOOHOOO!!! PARTS BIN, PARTS BIN, PARTS BIN!!!! Although can we call it something other than that??
Yes we can, what are your suggestions?

Quote:
Only becuase that is really part of the old CM. Perhaps "File Area" or "Members Files" or "Model Downloads" or something else??
I agree, something else, preferably catchy

Quote:
Will it have a storage capcity to cope with larger model files?? Because attachement size in posts is really nowhere near big enough for complex models.
Yes it will, i think, Jason can speak to that better than I can, but yes, there will be none of the limitations that we experienced uploading files as attachments, here and other places.

Quote:
Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
You are welcome

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhitt View Post
How about the option to post photos in line but have them show full size? I think this is the first vBulletin site I've seen that does the thumbnail thing with them. Is it optional or do you just have to have it one way or the other? I know some like thumbnails, but others may not. The ideal would be for each viewing user to be a able to set their preference one way or the other but I bet that's not possible.

Thanks!
It all depends on how you insert the images. If you upload the pictures the thread will show the thumbnails, but if you link the images from your gallery you pictures will be shown inline. Plus you will have the images in your gallery for all to see.

Jason
Google Adsense
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Problem with that here is, that Jason runs The Hobby Factory, and it is a small thing called competition.
Competition can be a good thing. When I setup the forum, I wanted to distance the forum from my store since I did not want people to get the wrong idea. I have avoided posting about my store, but have been tossing around the idea of creating a private sub-forum where store owners could post similar to the one for designers, since there are many topics we have in common. Software, taxes, suppliers, etc. As to having ads on the front page at this point I could lean either way, so I might open it up for the membership to decide. As long as the ads did not over power the main page It would help the forum raise money to cover the hosting, software costs and improvements.

Jason
Old 09-13-2007, 04:30 PM

How about, FREE BEER! (oops, forgot I quit! LOL)
Seriously though, as far as the model upload section...how about;
the Kit box, or the kit bag...kit and kaboodle?(LOL)...bag-o-tricks...the toybox...model central...or simply, free downloads!
Don't care what you call it, as long as it is different from the other forums.

P.S. do you guys want me to put my toys there? If I do, I promise to leave them there. But ONLY if you want them, I could care less one way or the other...there are LOTS more coming.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yeah, free beer would be the bomb!

I understand the whole thumbnails, etc. thing, but for me it is still a big minus for this site that I need to click on pictures - and have them pop up covering the thread/posts - instead of seeing glorious big pictures. I'm willing, I guess, to take that hit so that our friends in China and such can participate over their phone lines. Still, it would be nice to have an option in my personal setup that triggers them all to be big. Oh, I really don't like using ImageShack - I prefer to dump right here.

I would like to be able to unsubscribe to a thread by right clicking (or clicking a button) without going into my personal setup stuff.

I really enjoy not having ads everywhere... although the ads that lead to the notable vendors is useful too.

Carl
Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Competition can be a good thing. When I setup the forum, I wanted to distance the forum from my store since I did not want people to get the wrong idea.
I wouldn't see it as a problem.... I don't see any reason why you shouldn't advertise your store on here Jason. It's a separate commercial entity. You're entitled to make a living, just like anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
As long as the ads did not over power the main page It would help the forum raise money to cover the hosting, software costs and improvements.
There is absolutely no reason why the site should not have a commercial element, specifically to raise money for the benefit of the site itself. I wouldn't want to see it turn into a commercial endeavor like the other place did. Because that didn't benefit its members. But no reason why the site should not raise funds that benefit everybody.

If the spin off is that your independent store gets promotion, then you very much deserve it for creating this place anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
P.S. do you guys want me to put my toys there?
Yes Phil..... I'd love to see your toys there!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"

Last edited by Fozzy The Bear; 09-13-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM

I know about Jason's store, so I was hesitant to mention the ads, and like Carl I wouldn't want them to take over or be intrusive, but given the lack of any print magazines or similar outlets, I was thinking of it more as a service to the hobbyist first.
Most of my life has been spent in obscure pursuits, so when I've found kindred spirits, or places to take my money for goodies I've always seen it as a good thing<G>
Google Adsense