PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Suggestion Box

Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 731.91 MB
downloads

Hi all,
thank you for the free downloads, this is great! Just one comment (wish): Would it be possible to specify the scale of the model in File Information or Description?
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2018, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Scale really doesn't matter with paper. Just print it out the scale that you want.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

I agree with my friend MichaelS that ultimately we can print out the downloads in the scale we want, but I also agree with you that it would be nice to have a specified scale as a starting point. However, this would be hard to do. With everyone using different computers and especially different printers, the exact size of the printout you make might differ from the one I print.

Here's one way to do it. If I wanted to build a downloaded model to a specific scale, (and I wanted to save some ink and cardstock in the process), I would print out a "measurable part" in B&W on a sheet of copy paper. A "measurable part" would be something like the full length of the deck of a ship or the wing of an airplane, something you have an actual dimension for. Once you measure it and have determined its scale, you can do the maths and determine how much to reduce or enlarge to print to the scale you want. There are many threads on this site that describe how to increase and decrease the scale of your model, so I won't go into that here.

Another way to do it would be to use the "scattergun" method. Again, printing in B&W on paper, just enlarge or reduce the download image by say, 5% or 10% until you are satisfied with the size of your model. Then print it out in color on your cardstock and start building.

These are a couple of approaches that may work for you. I hope some of this helps in your quest to build the downloads to the scale you want.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 05-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
What he said....
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
What he said....
and for us thickies that dont know how to rescale it helps
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2018, 11:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I agree that it would help to know what you're resizing from to enlarge or reduce to the desired scale.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.51 GB
General stupidity

The problem I have is that my eyesight is failing. The only way I can see whether a plan is worth printing is to download it, this must increase your bandwidth use.
As far as I can see, (Not a pun ) Some models are what seems to be called "vector", they are very pleasant to resize, but the only way I can find out is to download it !
I would love to see some idea of the possibility of enlarging the model to my capabilities and it would reduce your bandwidth use.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Just seen this thread whilst having issues with the first couple of downloads I got off the internet via Zarkov Models, namely Murph's Models SR Princess and Bristol Brabazon (E-Cardmodels and Murph's Models weren't functioning).
The Princess is at 1/77 and the Brabazon at 1/105 and so I had the pdfs supplied laserjet copied at 77% and 105% to get to 1/100. The copies looked rather small so I've spent this morning calculating both full size and reduced versions, only to find that the Princess appears to have been supplied at 1:93.22 and the Brabazon at 1:137.5, so I've wasted my money on changing the scale for the copies!
Anybody got any advice? Aaron seems to think it's the difference between US letter size paper and english/continental A4 but I think that there is more difference in results than can be explained by this.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Aaron is right: there is a 3% factor between this 2 formats. I realized this when building Gary Pilswoth´s Sea Venom and Canberra. the method that Thumb Dog is the one I follow, includes a lot of calculations and measurements. I build the Canberra 3 times before I get an exact 1/100 replica. I learned to upscale and downscale the hard way, searching here in the forum and experimenting, but was fun and I learn, Regards.Tony.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 577.82 MB
Yes, would appreciate it if the scale is mentioned and was mentioned how much to increase or decrease to get particular popular scale sizes like 1/72, 1/48, etc.

Cheers,
Aadil.
Google Adsense