PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Late Bloomer

Having recent issues with Abobe Reader not allowing for actual centering of the print-out, I have also found that good ol' MS Paint can "save the day" - sort of. Since Paint is a Bitmap editor, copying the Adobe selection at the largest workable PDF view allowed for a reasonable quality "paste" into Paint, which then allows for re-scaling to the needed size (whole digit precision, only.) Difficulty is trying to get an actual 150% resize when pasting the selection - usually must do a wasteful trial and error print series. However, the wonderful thing about Paint is it's print positioning options. I'm scaling up from 1:72 to 1:48 (150%) from an A4 PDF 'page' size, to an 11"x17" paper, which is too narrow, but all would be fine if the generous 'blank space' margins could be allowed to 'hang over' the edges of the printable area, leaving the parts in the center intact. But Adobe doesn't allow it! Neither does Open Office for that matter... it has some real print functionality problems if you want to print on anything other than Letter size paper.

All this aside, it is truly amazing that there is no common interface to allow direct control of any printer's positioning and sizing functions without going through a bunch of gyrations - all for a requirement that identified long ago by the authors of Paint. In the drive to make things "simple" or automate functionality, we've gotten true flexibility programmed away. Is it really so difficult for these developers?

I'm going to play with Foxit now... here's hoping!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
What can I say, Foxit Rules! In the rescaling setting, there is a 'Custom' option that allows for (what appears to be, anyway) a tenths digit precision (such as "68.7%". Close enough for me!

Now if I can just get the printer to stop printing yellow as 'orange yellow'... *&^&*&#%% None of the Epson so-called 'color management' controls seem to have any effect on the outcome... I suspect there is something embedded in the PDF that is 'overpowering' anything that I can do.
Sigh...
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm fairly new to this forum and would like somebody to help a little. Firstly, pardon my ignorance, but here goes .... I would like to re-scale a paper model sailing ship from a scale of 1:96 to a scale of 1:75. How do I do this, and please can somebody tell me if there are calculators available to solve scaling needs, up or down.

Thank you.
Eugene.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Howdy!

(96÷75)x100 = 128.

You need to scale up by 128 percent.

Don't know of any easy-to-understand online scale calculators (maybe I need my morning coffee first...)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
To convert a 1:96 model to a 1:75 model divide the 96 by 75

96/75 = 1.28 multiply by 100 to get the % to print at. So print the 1:96 scale model at 128% to get a 1:75 model. A 1:96 scale model is smaller than a 1:75 model so printing at a higher % will get you the scale you want. Make sure the parts will fit on the largest size paper that your printer can handle.

Here is a small scale conversion calculator program. works good.
Starship Modeler - ScaleMaster Scale Calculator

To use the calculator to get the above conversion use the Scale Conversion feature and enter 1 in the Current Value window, choose meters as the units, check Display results in metric, enter the appropriate scales in the scales windows, then click the Convert Value button. The result will be displayed in meters and centimeters. The centimeters is the % at which to print.
Here is a pic of the calculation:
Rescaling & Printing PDF Models-scalemaster.jpg
Google Adsense