PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
new printer

hi guys,i am looking for a new printer,what would you sugest,i would not want to spend more than $500.i have alot of chris's models i want to do but do not have a good printer.thanks doug
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I am not the one to ask. My Brother printer I got in 2003 was a workhorse. In the same time frame I've gone through two HP's and a Canon that I hated. Picked up another Brother, but jury is still out on whether I will be happy with it long term
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.96 MB
Big fan of Kodak. Good print quality, water resistant ink and reasonably priced cartridges.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I'm quite happy with my Epson Workforce 1100 printer. It has handled every printing task I've put to it without breaking the budget on ink cost using refillable cartridges, and continuous ink systems are readily available for it. You should be able to pick one up along with a CIS for about $200.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushibones View Post
Big fan of Kodak. Good print quality, water resistant ink and reasonably priced cartridges.
Careful! Kodak's just filed for bankruptcy, re-organization, or whatever. This does not necessarily mean that all the printers will disappear, but I'd hesitate to buy any of the firm's products until the new arrangements shake out. And even if the Kodak company does disappear, another company could obstain the rights to manufacture the printers you admire.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I just got an Epson Workforce 545 All-In-one. It is awesome! It can handle heavy weight photo paper and card stock. The image quality is unreal. And, it takes extra-high capacity cartridges. I got it for $149 at office Max. It came with the high capacity cartridges. I've printed at least one model off every other day since Christmas, and only the black ink is low (I've also printed a lot of paper work off for grad class)

Last edited by willygoat; 03-05-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I'm quite happy with my Epson Workforce 1100 printer. It has handled every printing task I've put to it without breaking the budget on ink cost using refillable cartridges, and continuous ink systems are readily available for it. You should be able to pick one up along with a CIS for about $200.
I have to second what Darwin said, I got a Epson Workforce 1100 and LOVE it, wide format, straight thru feed will do very heavy paper never jams. I do a lot of 11X17 and it's great. Did not go for the continuous ink system, i got refillable cartridges and it works great and no need to modify the printer.....Rich
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I too looked at the WF 1100. I even had it picked up, and then the wife mentioned that our old PSC machine was crapping out. The 545 is good so far.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM

After a couple of HPs, I gave them up for Canon, which prints beautifully when the head isn't clogged, which is seldom. I keep hearing good things about the Epsons, so I'm planning on going that way next. Wade
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
I have to second what Darwin said, I got a Epson Workforce 1100 and LOVE it, wide format, straight thru feed will do very heavy paper never jams. I do a lot of 11X17 and it's great. Did not go for the continuous ink system, i got refillable cartridges and it works great and no need to modify the printer.....Rich

I'll have to 3rd that. My wife and son beat the snot out of the Epson 1100, it seems to be able to swallow things and some of them aren't paper! It can print really fast if you need it too and I like the color accuracy. I am not an expert on this at all though and only speak from personal experience. I would buy another one if this one popped just based on how inexpensive it was, the large format, and the number of prints it has made so far. Very easy to source other than O.E.M. ink on too.
Google Adsense