PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Rescaling & Printing PDF Models

I got asked by another member about how to "rescale" and "resize" a PDF format model.

The basic question was "...stupid question...but how do I reprint your PDF model from 1/33 scale to my preferred 1/48 scale?"

This is not a stupid question, because resizing images and documents varies from program to program or printer to printer and is not an option that is readily available.
As designers and artists we don't always think about the average guy just trying to print out his model with basic tools.

First you need to decide on a reduction amount.
to go from 1/33 to 1/48 means a printing reduction of 68.75%

A simple method of calculating the reduction is to divide the smaller scale number (48) by the starting scale number (33).
And then just multiply the outcome by 100 (move the decimal place two spots to the right!)

When printing directly from a PDF using a PDF viewer/reader,
as far as I know, there are no options to print at specific percentages.
You can "scale" the print using one of the preset options of printing multiple pages on one sheet.
This option reduces all pages in the PDF by a necessary amount to allow for multiple pages to fit on one sheet of paper.
You can usually specify how many pages to fit on each sheet. Unfortunately you will not know the actual scale reduction with this method.
(Although you could measure the final print and calculate the model scale)

The amount of actual reduction (of page size) is dependant on the original document page size and the output paper selection, and is therefore not always consistent.

Your other option to resize your PDFs and rearrange model parts is
to open and edit your PDFs in a Graphics Paint/Draw program.
Photoshop and CorelDraw are just two examples of programs that will open PDF files.

However, if the original PDF files have been encrypted or security protected, you may not be able to gain access in this manner.
You may be asked for a Password to import the document into an editing program or you may be denied access completely.

I have found another option for Windows users, using the built in "Paint" program.

Heres a quick Tutorial:
1. Open the PDF file using the standard viewer. (eg just double click the file and allow it to open in Adobe reader or whatever reader is assigned)
2.With the page image on the screen, click "EDIT" and then choose "Copy File to Clipboard"
3. Now go open Windows Paint (START-All Programs-Accessories-Paint)
4. Once Paint is open, a blank sheet is visible...right click anywhere on the blank page and choose "PASTE"
5. Your PDF image should appear on the screen as an image. It will probably be reduced to visually fit on the screen.
6. Now click on "IMAGE" at the top menu, and choose "Stretch/Skew". A dialog box will appear allowing you to input new percentage scale numbers* for the height and width of your image.
7. Make sure you input the same percentages in both boxes, to maintain proportions, and then click "Okay" to apply the changes.
8. The image on your screen will now change in size and you can choose to "Print" or "Save" your image at this point.

*unfortunately you can only enter round numbers, and not fractions for Stretch/Skew options. You will have to round up (or down) your percentage for this step.

I'm not a regular user of Windows Paint, and I can't comment on its other available options.
You might want to look through the menu options and see what other modifications you can make regarding save options, print and image quality options, etc.

This same method is how you can edit any PDF file/image in other Graphics/Image editing programs
if the program will not allow you to directly open or import a PDF file
Google Adsense
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
to go from 1/33 to 1/48 means a printing reduction of 68.75%

A simple method of calculating the reduction is to divide the smaller scale number (48) by the starting scale number (33).
And then just multiply the outcome by 100 (move the decimal place two spots to the right!)
Actually you want to divide the starting scale by the scale you want. In your example smaller scale 48 divided by starting scale 33 is 1.45 or 145%. Starting scale 33 divided by scale you want (smaller scale in this case) 48 is 0.6875 or 68.75%. You had the reduction correct to begin with but seemed to have gotten turned around in the explanation.

A way to see if you can print at a different % is when you click the printer icon or choose print from the drop down menu is to see if there is a Properties button available for your default printer or a printer available if you have more than one.
Rescaling & Printing PDF Models-ar1.jpg

Some printers have an option to print at a different % in their Properties dialogue.
Rescaling & Printing PDF Models-nx1.jpg

Last edited by SCEtoAUX; 09-21-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Some PDF viewers will offer a limited set of rescale capability. Foxit Reader (a free PDF program with a great feature set) offers the following:

A 66.7% print of a 1:33 model results in a 1:49 scale. Very close to 1:48 and for most people close enough. I did just check and Adobe Acrobat Reader does not have this scaled print capability. I also checked my printer settings as indicated in SCEtoAUX's post and found that I also have the scale print option there. Never noticed it before. I also normally rescale in a graphics editor so I can use yet another rescale method - increasing the print resolution so as not to lose any digital data in the rescale. It also allows me to rearrange parts to fit on less paper.

Edit: Just noticed the scaling list under the preview of the image. You can type there and add a custom scale. So there you have it folks, download and install Foxit Reader from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/ and you can scale very easily.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I highly recommend Foxit Reader also.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
cmags,
Thanks I just downloaded the free version. This could solve some
problems that Adobe reader has....Ron
Google Adsense
Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
Edit: Just noticed the scaling list under the preview of the image. You can type there and add a custom scale. So there you have it folks, download and install Foxit Reader from Foxit Software - Foxit Reader 4.1 for Windows and you can scale very easily.
Don't think it works like that. Have you checked? I'll be happy to be mistaken.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
My Adobe Reader 9.x has a full scaling feature <Print File - Properties button - page layout tab - Reduce/Enlarge - enter %>

This works just fine with my Epson printer. I don't know if other printers present the same Adobe Reader options.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Ron, once you click the Properties button next to the printer, you're in the driver software for your printer, and outside of Adobe's capabilities. This option may or may not be there depending on which printer you're using.

Looker, yes, you can enter any percentage manually in that box, just hit <enter> once you're done typing for it to take effect:

Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Correct, I have Adobe Reader 9 and it does not have these capabilites.
Ron's percentage scaling options have been added by his Printer application.

FoxIt does look like a good option for some more scaling options.

For more specific percentage scaling you will most likely have to use a Graphics editing program.
Windows Paint is obviously a free simple option that all Windows users already have,
but can we hear from any of the other free Grpahics programs users, if the same procedure (I mentioned at first) is an option?

and thanks Doug for the calculation correction...
actually my calculation was correct and as I intended it, but I misplaced one word.
I had intended to say:
A simple method of calculating the reduction is to divide the smaller scale number (48) INTO the starting scale number (33).
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
.... yes, you can enter any percentage manually in that box, just hit <enter> once you're done typing for it to take effect:
Ah yes, that's in the printer properties. Back in the "Adobe" or "Foxit" dialogue (works in both) you just ask it to print full size and it accepts what the printer now sees as full size. Hadn't spotted that before, suspect I may find it handy - not necessarily just in modelling.
Google Adsense