PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wink Card thicknesses...

I've seen several questions as to the availability of various thicknesses of cardboard that some kits require.
This was a bit of a puzzle to me ,also, until I ran across what seems a never ending supply at Staples (a big stationary store here in the states). Where they have their supply of "index cards" they also carry the manila file tabs which happen to mike out ot 0.5mm in thickness. You don't need a computer to see just how easy it is to come up with 0.5, 1.0, 1.5mm, etc. thickness card stock with a bit of 2-coat rubber cement. The tab divider sets come in a 5"x7" size, 26 sheets for $2.79. Should be enough for about 10 models.

Hope this helps anyone looking for thicker cardboard stock.

Allan
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
There should be a cardboard thick 1mm out there. I found that Architecture college students use this, but I don't know the name of it in English (in Spanish is "Maria Luisa" or "Papel Batería" or "Cartón Pluma"). They use it to make their models. It looks like it is used sometimes also to make portrait or picture frames.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
My local art stores here in Canada have plenty of card.
I can buy giant sheets (3'x6' or something) of 2mm, or smaller poster sized sheets of 1mm.
The 1mm stuff was meant for something specific, because it's solid black, but it's still just plain card.
Curry's is the name of the store I go to.

I remember in Poland I was at this one stationary store, and they had a rack of card sheets of up to 4mm thick or something. I bought a bunch that I needed and flew it back in my suitcase :D
Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Very recently I purchased 1mm (0.04 in) cardboard from Hobby Lobby. I was thrilled to find it because it is exactly the same strength and consistency as the cardboard I got from Mr. Halinski. It is pretty large (close to A3 format) and at $0.99 not really that expensive...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
My local art stores here in Canada have plenty of card.
I can buy giant sheets (3'x6' or something) of 2mm, or smaller poster sized sheets of 1mm.
The 1mm stuff was meant for something specific, because it's solid black, but it's still just plain card.
Curry's is the name of the store I go to.

I remember in Poland I was at this one stationary store, and they had a rack of card sheets of up to 4mm thick or something. I bought a bunch that I needed and flew it back in my suitcase :D
Sounds like Matte Material to me, for framing artwork
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2007, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Good tip, Popala!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abutt2 View Post
I ran across what seems a never ending supply at Staples (a big stationary store here in the states).
Ermmmmm Staples is a big stationary store in the UK too..... ROFL :D

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM

I have Georgia Pacific 110 card and it is ok. But I wanted something not so heavy. So I buy Staples Cover Stock 67 Card. It is very soft and is not much more heavy than printing paper. I am disappointed. Now I have giant package of this for $12.95. I do not know what to buy next as I do not want more I can not use.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Office Depot has both Wausau Bright White 65 lb and 110 lb. I had been using 110 but like the 65 better now.

For laminating I take an expensive approach and use Bristol 100 lb. Two layers plus the plain paper pattern comes out a touch under 1mm which is perfect for modeling. I tried 1mm cardboard but with the pattern layer it doesn't fit the cutouts for me. We now use the 1mm sheets for covering things to protect them from (4) cats.

Carl
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Allan,

I've tested cardstock to find the lightest/strongest for my flying models. I've posted these results on other forums.

The following is an example of what is being said. I'm explaining what is meant by "basis weight" by using common sheet sizes (they are not the actual sizes-I'm just using the sheets sizes to try and explain):
Lets say the 65lb card is 500 sheets that weigh 65lb actual weight and the sheet size is 11" x 17".
Ok, 110lb index is 500 sheets that weigh 110lb actual weight but the sheet size is 18"x22".
If you were to weigh the 110lb at sheet size of 11"x17" it will weigh less because it is in smaller sheets now. This is what is meant by "Basis weight"! The size the manufacturers sell the basic sheet at before chopping it into smaller sheets for our use.

Hardly any use the same basis size!

A better way is the Metric conversion that weighs by the "gram/meter" You will find this in the equivalent chart PDF [last column] that I created from information I gathered.

The cardstock laminate PDf shows how many laminations you need to get the thickness called for.

The test data PDF shows my personal test results of the cardstock I thought would work for my models.

I hope these help and that they don't confuse anyone!

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Card Stock Equivalent Weights.pdf (95.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf Cardstock Laminate Thickness.pdf (120.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: pdf Testing Results For Card Stock Stiffness.pdf (74.1 KB, 83 views)
Google Adsense