PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Up scaling

I was wanting to take my GPM F-15e to a local printshop and double its size. is there anything I need to know about this, or is it pretty straight forward?
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM

The only thing I would worry about is if they have a big enough paper size (and in the weight you want) so that the parts don't get divided. That may or may not be that big of a problem for you but I try to avoid it, sometimes by scaling and/or rearranging the parts ahead of time. However that may not be possible if you have a pre-printed kit... I'm not at all familiar with the model you have. But anyway those are my thoughts
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM

They have a big enough printer, they could actually triple the size(1:33) , but would everything scale up, or could there be issues with parts fit? Or is this just a dumb question to begin with?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM

I've scaled up models before with no problems; they should fit fine I actually think larger models fit together better because the thickness of the paper has less of an effect than on very small models. The other side if that coin is the paper still has to be thick enough to keep it sturdy (if it's much larger) but I've haven't had that problem either.

There are no dumb questions, as another modeler (I can't remember who) put it, we were all inexperienced at one time
Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
I started the GPM F15 years ago. The fuselage was a great fit but as you went aft the boxey structure was pretty flimsy. Also the wing attachment was a little floppy as it didn't go thru the boxey fuselage and was just kinda stuck on. The fit was excellant but you will need to reenforce the wing attachments. Good luck.
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2012, 05:31 PM

My thought is to make this thing huge....at least 4 feet nose to tail....why? You ask...why not. Papermate and cafe have their 1/200 madness, I want to go opposite of that and go big.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
This has nothing to do with the enlargement your interested in..

My question, have you built this kit at any other scale? If not, I would suggest building it at the original intended scale just to see what other issues might present themselves to you before you take on the BIG one.........

Enlarging some models can lead to more frustration than you can imagine...

good luck, no matter what you do,

SFX
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM

That would be a good idea.....good thing I post here first, you guys can point out the mistakes I'm about to make.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
So your going to build 1/16 scale. These models are pretty accurate so the jump up should not be a problem. I build in this scale all the time. In fact it is a lot easier. The paper does need to be heavier though. I would take a page or two and give it a try first. Just to be sure you have it right. I used 110# card and 65# cover on Will Alldridges F4U. It worked out fine for me and it was a scale up from 1:33 to 1:16. I did this at home with a flat bed scanner, software program, and a large scale printer. More work but more control over the finished product. If the price is right you may want to make two copies so the ink colors are the same and you have a backup for those
unanticipated errors.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks mike, I have had multiple surgeries on my arms, which are really messing with my abilities to work with smaller scale models. Hopefully the last rounds of surgery will be my last, and I can work the models in the scale they are printed in, but larger scale also seems like more fun, I followed your f4 build very closely, it was an amazing build.
Google Adsense