PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Source for RIBBED cardstock??

Hey guys...

Just wondering if anybody has a source for RIBBED cardstock... IE evenly spaced embossed "ribs" or texture into the paper... anywhere from about 1/8 down to about 1/16 inch wide (about 3 mm down to about 1mm).

I ask because I've used some of this paper in various model rocket builds and it's VERY handy for making the 'corrugated' or ribbed outer sections of the thrust structures, interstages, and fore/aft skirts above/below the "Y" rings on the propellant tanks of many liquid fueled rockets and missiles.

I got some "small ribbed" foil-coated cardstock at Michaels, but I'm not entirely sure how that's going to hold up, or how it will take paint. I've also gotten some "wide ribbed" plain white (or colored) cardstock at scrapbooking stores before, but I haven't been able to find that in about a year or so, and NOBODY seems to carry it anymore... my supply is running thin, and I HATE having to emboss sheets by hand with an old mouse pad and pen... (HAVE to do that for conical parts like the S-II/S-IVB interstage on the Saturn V, and the F-1 engine fairings on the S-IC stage).

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Source for RIBBED cardstock??-016.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-017.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-019.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-020.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-024.jpg  

Source for RIBBED cardstock??-027.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-013.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-064.jpg   Source for RIBBED cardstock??-096.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is one online source of what looks to be ribbed cardstock. $29.99 for 50 sheets.
Textured Vice Versa Card Stock - Decorative Heavy Weight Cardstocks

Here is a tool that could be used to make ribbed cardstock. Its stated function is to help make envelopes.
Amazon Scoring Envelope Martha Stewart Crafts.

The indentations are 1/8" apart, but you could make the indentations then shift the sheet over a bit and make more to get the 1/16" spacing.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Caboose Hobbies in Denver use to carry all kinds of textured stock....... They (Railroad Modelers) use it in dioramas and it really useful for all kinds of modeling.......

I don't live there any more so I can't say if they still carry the stuff....... Maybe a call to their help desk is in order.

Good luck,
Swampfoox
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Caboose Hobbies in Denver use to carry all kinds of textured stock....... They (Railroad Modelers) use it in dioramas and it really useful for all kinds of modeling.......

I don't live there any more so I can't say if they still carry the stuff....... Maybe a call to their help desk is in order.

Good luck,
Swampfoox
Well, I do live there, and can say they don't normally carry the stuff- They do have all kinds of textured styrene (which doesn't help, I know).

They used to carry an extensive line of Paper Creek products, but alas, Paper Creek is no more.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the links guys... I'll check them out!

I appreciate it!

later! OL JR
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Try here, if what you want is not in catalog, ask them if they have or can get the paper you want.

Download Catalog & Order Form
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks I'll check them out!

OL JR
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Model railroad shops used to have corrugated bassword sheets that were fairly thin and flexible. I wonder if they're still available?

Scott K.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 MB
If you haven't found anything yet google "paper crimper" and I think that you may find what you're looking for. My wife has a few crimpers from a company named "Uchida of America" one of which crimps the paper in a straight line, like you have pictured on the rocket in gold color. It works on paper and cardstock up to 8.5" wide. Whatever one you buy it seems that some of them do not crimp very wide pieces of paper/card stock so just be careful to get one that will crimp a wide enough piece for you.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks... I'll see what I can find.

My SIL gave me a "paper corrugator" she had from her scrapbooking stuff... it has two wide "intermeshing gears" the width of the paper through which the paper passes as you turn a handle to turn the gears, which of course then forces the paper to conform to the shape of the meshing gears. Only problem is, the gear teeth are too coarse, and the paper comes out with corrugations only slightly smaller than those found on the inside layer of a cardboard box! Of course that's COMPLETELY out of scale for spacecraft modeling (unless you were doing a HUGE model, in which case you'd opt for more realism and use the appropriate "T" or "L" shaped corrugation stringers, or "_/ \_/ \_/ \_ " shaped corrugations anyway...

I've thought about various ways to make my own, using intermeshing steel "all thread" rods with fine threads with small enough pitch to give properly spaced "corrugations" to the paper... BUT I haven't tried it yet... another shop project to get done *someday*.

Thanks again! OL JR