PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Yours or someone else's?
If it's blood, most usually mine - I really shouldn't be near sharp implements.🙀Mind you, I haven't sliced a finger for quite some time now, guess I'm due an 'accident ' soon then.💣
Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
this whole 'paper-purist' thing comes up on a regular basis. i am in the camp of 'anything goes'. as far as competitions, if i had my way i would eliminate the material from the equation, as in 'international...modellers society'. i use paper because its the cheapest among the raw materials. not the easiest, i don't make paper tubes, i use styrene and wire for those. and another dig at purists - ever since i got a laser cutter, i hardly use a knife!
Old 01-18-2020, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I've never been a purist, I've always considered myself just a modeler, although my preferred medium will always be paper, even though I recently started building plastic kits again for the first time in decades. I recently scratchbuilt an interior for a plastic Bradley out of paper.

I also paint all my models, which started out as a way to cover my mistakes but has evolved into a hybrid of paper and plastic model skills combined. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can build a paper kit, as printed, without having to paint it, that is one skill that has always been beyond me but I aim to try it again some day.

The paper kits are cheaper and the level of satisfaction after completing one is much higher. As for competition rules, I've entered a few of my paper models in plastic model competitions, and won first place in a few categories which takes the satisfaction to an even higher level.

Long story short... There are no rules to conform to, it's a hobby. Do what makes you happy, build your models the way you want to and above all, enjoy it.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 01-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Long story short... There are no rules to conform to, it's a hobby. Do what makes you happy, build your models the way you want to and above all, enjoy it.
+1 ; Couldn't agree more!

Mike
Old 01-19-2020, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
toothpicks for inside masts or undercarriage support is as far as i go with additions.nothing that shows

Last edited by herky; 01-19-2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add on
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Work in progress at present:
3-Rubber Band Power Airplanes
1-Pulsejet Powered Airplane
1-Soon to be started project F104 Starfighter Glider.

All projects use modeling clay, or lead weights for balance.

Using pre-made wheels /tires for landing gear now.

Plastic propellers and rubber bands along with wood dowel or bamboo skewers.

Music wire for landing gear.

Bass wood or balsa wood for internal strength as needed.

Going to try and make a propeller out of paper cardstock, just bought a plastic compass to adjust the pitch.

Use auto gas for the fuel in the pulsejet. Plastic fuel tank, R/C Servos and radios, wire etc. Aluminum power frame, switching to really thin stainless steel.

For the future project F104, it will be printed on some MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver photo. It is not paper but a form of plastic. Guess I might be breaking some boundaries with this one. The Slickrock is as close to sheet aluminum I can find. It will cost over $14.40 per sheet to print on (2ft x 3ft size sheets).

Have made wind turbines in the past using Yupo synthetic paper. Form of plastic, that doesn't work well with inkjet printers, however outlines to cut parts out was doable.

At least the plastic paper projects use ink!

Mike
Old 11-16-2020, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Depends on what your goal is. If it is to make a convincing miniature of the prototype than any material that can be used should be used. if your goal is to make an all paper model than do so. if you are purest that means you would not use a clear canape.

My builds are multimedia models they are built with small amounts of wire, unprocessed paper (AKA wood) and some metal. I do not use any plastics simply because its to difficult to glue. I used to compete in IPMS competitions and have many second place, third place and even a gold award competing head to head with plastic models.

We have a member (DTO) who has taken a first in a IPMS national competition. The model used some wire.

Jim Nunn

Jim
Old 11-17-2020, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Have any of you ever used cheerios for aircraft model wheels as one of our late, beloved designers once suggested?

Curt
Old 11-18-2020, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I once used a candy Lifesaver (as a lifesaver) on a working winch on my FG Sikorsky R-4 helicopter. The winch was a paper spool with a wire handle. Also modified it to have pontoons (all paper) and sent it to Chip. I think it was featured for a while on the FG site's R4 page in the early 2000's but I can't remember.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
and another dig at purists - ever since i got a laser cutter, i hardly use a knife!
Some people like the result, some people like a process.... It's up to you.