PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 03-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Metallic Cardstock

Found a place online that sells card stock with a metallic sheen to it.
Discount Card Stock, Paper, Envelopes & Ink Jet Art Paper for Scrapbooking, Paper Crafting, Stamping, Photos and Wedding Invitations
GoTo Specialty Cardstock & Papers > Metallic Cardstock - 89# to 111# on the left side of the page.

The # indicates weight of the card stock in pounds so the stuff tested out is close to 110 lb /199 gsm.

Right now the Aluminum Metallic is $15.98 for 25 sheets USLtr size. Looks like they are discontinuing that. The Lustre Metallic and Silver Ore Metallic is $19.98 for 25 sheets USLtr size. You can buy single sheet samples.

Bought some samples to see what it would look like and how it would print and glue. 8.5 x 11 USLtr size. It printed on my Canon inkjet with no problems. The Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue used worked with no problems.

Here are some photos of some parts printed from the Gloster GA2 model by Gary Pilsworth found in Downloads > Aviation > Military > Cold War. I stripped the grey from a part and printed it with and without the grey. The part with the grey as presented in the pdf is on the left in in each photo. Standard print setting was used. Might look better with a higher print setting.

Aluminum Metallic 107#:

Lustre Metallic 92#:

Silver Ore Metallic 98#:

I am not certain which of the metallic sheens would suit aluminum bodied aircraft models. Looks like the Silver Ore Metallic works OK.
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
does the ink wipe off? I have had that problem in the past with metallics
Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Nope, the ink does not wipe off. It soaks in like it does with plain card stock. The graphics do not pop because of that. Perhaps a color laser printer would let the graphics pop since with them the color stays on the surface. The glue will leave an unsightly blemish if you get it where you do not want it just like with plain card stock .

Some more prints were made with higher printer settings.

Printer settings: High, Matte Photo Paper - on Silver Ore Metallic:

Printer Settings: High, Glossy Photo Paper - on Silver Ore Metallic:

Not much difference from using printer set to Standard, Plain Paper. Save ink, print Standard.

The metallic card stock seems to be stiffer than the plain card stock even though the stated weight is lower than the weight of 110#/199gsm plain card stock. When closing a seam you have to maintain steady pressure along the entire joint (heh heh, I said joint ) for at least a 20 count or the seam will pop open.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
very interesting. metallic paper like this is very useful, thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM

Here are some scans with the three types of metallic card stock on some aluminum foil and an aluminum ruler:

Shiny side aluminum foil

Dull side aluminum foil

Brushed aluminum ruler

The shiny side and dull side aluminum foil picture look to be mislabeled, but the orientation was double checked and they are labeled correctly.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Some printer will let you adjust the print density, go into settings and check. You can turn up the amount of ink used....Rich
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 AM

The website business referenced in the first post has closed.