PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
End User License Agreements and Professional Printing

Over the last few days I have browsed for and purchased a number of digitally distributed card models, typically delivered in .pdf format via email. Earlier today I called FedEx with regards to printing these models and asked specifically about any documentation required. Before FedEx will print a card model they require a release from the copyright holder authorizing me, the end user, to print the work in question. This was the expected response.

I then looked at the digitally distributed models I just purchased and to my great surprise, not one contains an End User License Agreement of any kind.

Looking further, the Cad Best website, which sells card models by ModelArt, provides an End User License Agreement (CADbest - Advanced Geometrical Solutions). Unfortunately, the agreement only authorizes me to download and print the model from one computer, which precludes me from using a professional printer.

I could not find any form of End User License Agreement on the Ecardmodels.com website.

I highly suggest that model designers and distributers develop a universal End User License Agreement for digitally distributed card models. I highly suggest that all card model designers include that license within the files for each and every one of their models. I highly suggest that all distributers of digital card models put a link to that license on the front page of their website in a very easy to find location. (See the Cad Best website for a good example of this.) I highly suggest the End User License Agreement include a provision allowing a model purchaser to professionally print a model.

Thank you for considering my suggestions.
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.54 MB
When I distributed Modelart kits through MLCM (ML Card Models), each kit had the EULA. Aren't they enclosed now with every kit that CADBest sells?

Moshe
Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Hello Moshe,

We have not corresponded in a very long time and I hope you are well.

I purchased the Ju 87G from the Cad Best web store yesterday. The model was delivered this morning, via email, as a zipped file containing 25 .pdf documents (1 x Cover Art; 9 x Instruction Diagrams; 1 x Written Instructions; 9 x Parts for Cardstock; 2 x Parts for Heavy Card; 2 x Connecting Strips; 1 x Transparency Film). I cannot find an End User License Agreement in the folder.

The Cad Best website includes a link to the End User License Agreement here: CADbest - Advanced Geometrical Solutions

The first paragraph states:

1. Limited use license
In consideration of your agreement to be bound by the terms of this agreement, cadbest.com hereby grants to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to download or purchase on a cd, a file or files as appropriate to the fee paid, to use these file(s) internally on a single computer, print out the file(s) (solely for internal use), and distribute the printed copy(ies) of the file(s) internally, according to the terms and conditions of this agreement. all rights not expressly granted herein are retained by cadbest.com and its licensors, as the case may be.

In order to professionally print the model, I would need to transfer it to a memory stick and then a second machine at FexEx, thus violating the provision above.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM

I just checked the OV-10 Bronco, P-40, and P-39 models I purchased from you many years ago. All include an End User License Agreement. I lost the Me 109 I purchased and cannot check that one.

I respectfully suggest adding the End User License Agreement to the folder with the Ju 87G model. If possible, I would also like to see the agreement amended to contain some provision for the model purchaser to professionally print the model for personal use. That is, I want FedEx to print one or two copies so I can build it.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Doug,

Keep in mind that any professional print job is going to be done on a Laser printer

and we have plenty of threads on the pros and cons of doing so

Just a heads up

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 AM

Thank you for the warning, Rick. It takes me months and often years to build a model, so investing in yet another personal printer seems wasteful. I will see a service offering archival quality inkjet printing and fall back on laser printing as a last resort.

Chris at ecardmodels.com contacted me so I will call some more printers in the morning.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
I just checked the OV-10 Bronco, P-40, and P-39 models I purchased from you many years ago. All include an End User License Agreement. I lost the Me 109 I purchased and cannot check that one.

I respectfully suggest adding the End User License Agreement to the folder with the Ju 87G model. If possible, I would also like to see the agreement amended to contain some provision for the model purchaser to professionally print the model for personal use. That is, I want FedEx to print one or two copies so I can build it.
Doug, the Ju87 kits were published after I closed my store, so, you'll need to contcar CADBest for printing them. I don't think that they'll object you printing the kits for your own use.

Moshe
Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Hello Moshe,

CAD Best responded very quickly to my email and everything worked out fine.

-Doug
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 PM

I spent the day taking my USB drive with a pair of card models to various printers with rather frustrating results. As it turned out, most did not care about copyright issues. It seems the problem I brought up in this thread is a non-problem, and I am now looking for a new personal printer.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 168.46 MB
If most didn't care about copyright, what was the problem getting it printed professionally?