PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 01-13-2015, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
While we're on the subject, I have trouble with Elmer's drying too quickly when I'm spreading it on large / long tabs. Same problem with Aleene's. Suggestions?
How are you applying the glue? If you are brushing it on, another option is to apply the glue more quickly.

I also use water-based "white" glue. I find that, for long tabs, brushing the glue on takes too much time (the glue starts to dry) and applies too much glue (the paper can soften or warp).

So, for anything but the smallest of tabs, I spread the glue using a wedge-shaped piece of thin, flexible plastic. A piece of scrap card could work as well. Using this "applicator", it's easy to spread thin, even layers of glue across long tabs very quickly.

Hope this is helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Glue-What do we use?-glue-tools.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
UHU all purpose tube is best for parts, 3M spray is great for laminating
Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
I use UHU all-purpose for daily use as well, it doesn't wet paper, bond relatively quick, and still removable for some amount of time, without much damage to the parts. The drawbacks are it become shiny when dried (not much problem if you apply them neatly and carefully) and can form annoying 'strings' when wet.
and it smells bad, unless you're a sniffer

Another glue i use (and have used) are CA for bonding metals and strengthening small parts; Fox PVAC, Local glue similar to Elmer with thicker consistency; and UHU Stick for bonding large area i.e. formers

I also experimented with ground rice as alternative, when i was a younger kid
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
UHU All-purpose clear glue (or Velpon when I stock up on supplies in the Netherlands) is excellent for large surfaces as it doesn't wet paper. It does form strings though. I prefer white PVA glue for the finer work.
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 01-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello :-) for just about everything, I use a Pritt Stick, and very occasionally wood glue for bulking up some joints and superglue for a quick job or affixing tiny parts. My main reason for adding something here is that I don't buy 'branded' superglues (icocyanates) any more, instead favouring the sort of stuff that is used for gluing on false fingernails - it's the same glue, and around half the price over here. Interesting that UHU was mentioned - can't stand the stuff!
Plumdragon
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ahsani View Post
I use UHU all-purpose for daily use as well, it doesn't wet paper, bond relatively quick, and still removable for some amount of time, without much damage to the parts. The drawbacks are it become shiny when dried (not much problem if you apply them neatly and carefully) and can form annoying 'strings' when wet.
and it smells bad, unless you're a sniffer

Another glue i use (and have used) are CA for bonding metals and strengthening small parts; Fox PVAC, Local glue similar to Elmer with thicker consistency; and UHU Stick for bonding large area i.e. formers

I also experimented with ground rice as alternative, when i was a younger kid
i think the uhu i use when i can get it here is now imported from indonesia.are you hogging all my supllies
Old 01-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumdragon View Post
Hello :-) for just about everything, I use a Pritt Stick, and very occasionally wood glue for bulking up some joints and superglue for a quick job or affixing tiny parts. My main reason for adding something here is that I don't buy 'branded' superglues (icocyanates) any more, instead favouring the sort of stuff that is used for gluing on false fingernails - it's the same glue, and around half the price over here. Interesting that UHU was mentioned - can't stand the stuff!
Plumdragon

This mite help sir. im located in the USA and get mine from England. You mite be able to get it cheaper possibly but its a start none the less.

4 x UHU All Purpose Glue 35ml Extra Strong Clear Adhesive | eBay
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
Re UHU

Plumdragon UHU rules...it is not available in the USA for some reason, although the stick version exists! It meets the criteria most model makers want, can hold a piece in place until final positioning, is quick to dry, you can use it to fill small crevices and paint over...and as everything has a downside, the stringiness could be avoided with practice, the smell, well that is subjective...for me, it reminds me of my happy childhood days (yes I made scratch built models then)
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamaia View Post
Plumdragon UHU rules...it is not available in the USA for some reason, although the stick version exists! It meets the criteria most model makers want, can hold a piece in place until final positioning, is quick to dry, you can use it to fill small crevices and paint over...and as everything has a downside, the stringiness could be avoided with practice, the smell, well that is subjective...for me, it reminds me of my happy childhood days (yes I made scratch built models then)
its been deleted by most of the big chains here as it seems to be a favorite among the sniffers.i have always used it for models and find no issues with it.found one store in south island that is going to interbranch all there stock up here so i can buy it.i struggle using anything else as i agree with all the qualities listed here.i use addos spray adhesives for laminating
Old 01-17-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperguy View Post
This mite help sir. im located in the USA and get mine from England. You mite be able to get it cheaper possibly but its a start none the less.

4 x UHU All Purpose Glue 35ml Extra Strong Clear Adhesive | eBay
if i can no longer get it here that might be an option thank you
Google Adsense