PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 08-31-2017, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
UHU All Purpose Tips

Herky (and Raja, Marco, Adamaia, and the paperguy if you are still guarding this push):

So far, my experiments with UHU All Purpose have turned out well for gluing relatively small surfaces together and for small tabs. I really like it and am beginning to be able to cope with the stringiness. As I mentioned before, I do not find the banana oil smell offensive.

I have been squeezing out a small amount on a square of plastic or cardboard and then applying with a sharpened toothpick/cocktail stick.

But I need some advice on dealing with long tabs and putting together sections of airplane fuselages. The UHU dries and catches pretty fast and I have had no joy with those two applications.

Any advice of this and any other useful info on working with UHU A.P. would be most welcome.

JMac: Thanks for starting this thread.

Rick and Elliott: Thanks for the index to other glue threads. Have added to my Paper Modeler's Vade Mecum.

Don
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Herky (and Raja, Marco, Adamaia, and the paperguy if you are still guarding this push):

So far, my experiments with UHU All Purpose have turned out well for gluing relatively small surfaces together and for small tabs. I really like it and am beginning to be able to cope with the stringiness. As I mentioned before, I do not find the banana oil smell offensive.

I have been squeezing out a small amount on a square of plastic or cardboard and then applying with a sharpened toothpick/cocktail stick.

But I need some advice on dealing with long tabs and putting together sections of airplane fuselages. The UHU dries and catches pretty fast and I have had no joy with those two applications.

Any advice of this and any other useful info on working with UHU A.P. would be most welcome.

JMac: Thanks for starting this thread.

Rick and Elliott: Thanks for the index to other glue threads. Have added to my Paper Modeler's Vade Mecum.

Don
yes its best for small areas as its not cheap.having said that the only thing i use pva glue for it when i need heaps.ie ships internal formers and generally overglueing internal seams
Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Don,

Since my earlier post, I have discovered a glue called A Fine Line, manufactured by Adhesive Tech. It is odorless, non-toxic and acid free. Using a very thin layer, It will bond within 40 to 50 seconds. I place a line of tiny dots and then spread the glue to form a very thin coat, using a fine dental tool; removing any excess. It completely cures within 24 hours. It will initially soften the paper before it bonds, so you have to take pains to keep the surface smooth during the first 60 seconds. I now use it for almost everything, except large lamination pieces (because of the 40 sec bond issue).
Oh, did I mention that it is very inexpensive. Current pricing in local shops is $2.95 for a 42 ML tube. Using 2/3rds of a tube, I have completed two 1/72 aircraft, two HO scale main street buildings, 1 large Santa, sled and Raindeer, three 1/100 models and am currently assembling two of VK's coaches. Using the very thin coat method, it goes a long way. Just adding some food for thought (No, I do not have stock in the company).

John
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Hello Don,

I've recently been using UHU cement and it's North American cousin in the green tube, Duco cement, to laminate small parts onto heavier card stock. I've found this comes in handy when you don't want to break out the can of 3M 77 spray adhesive for a tiny little part when you can achieve the same results with just a small dab of cement.

As for gluing parts to parts, I stick to good old Elmers white glue (pva) or cheap dollar store CA when I need a quick hard bond.

I'm looking forward to getting together with you and Lil at the International Paper Modelers Convention in November.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I've been using Tombow Mono Aqua for a long time, but recently I got some Elmer's Clear school glue and may use it on my next model. It looks and smells just like the Tombow.
Attached Thumbnails
Glue-What do we use?-125566.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
When I was in Eastern Europe, I use to use HERKULES glue.

Now that I am back in the US, I now use Aleene's Original Tacky Glue.

I have had GREAT results with both!