PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Tips and Techniques

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.02 MB
For 1:250 scale ships, I tried 2 pound test Stren fishing line for crappie. I bought the gold color. You can color it with a Sharpie felt tip marker, or paint it. If you hang a length of it vertically for a while ( maybe days or weeks) with a few ounces of weight on the end, it will end up remarkably straight. I also used it for lifelines, by drilling the deck, inserting stanchions, then stringing the Stren line across the stanchions, gluing it at each stanchion with a spec of CA glue.
My favorite for shorter pieces that need to be dead straight is carbon fiber. I found some unidirectional carbon fiber sheet that is only about 0.007" thick. It splits really easily into narrow strips, so you can make strips about 0.007 by 0.007", which is 1.75" at 1:250 scale. (there are other sizes available) It is rigid, so you just cut it to length and place it. No need to put any tension on it. Very easy to use, and no mess at the ends where it attaches. I just dip the ends in glue to put a tiny amount on the ends, and place it. The stickiness of the glue will hold it in place while the glue sets. When you strip it, you will get some uneven strips, so discard them or cut them into smaller pieces. You can find it at CST Sales, carbon laminate. It's the stuff with teflon backing that you peel off.
Do be careful with it because you could get nasty splinters. (I haven't yet, but it could happen)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.02 MB
Here's a pic of my 1:250 scale Spray. I have used a mix of carbon fiber and 2 pound Stren fishing line (As I mentioned in the previous post). The fishing line is colored black with a sharpie. The shrouds and stays are the fishing line, and most of the rest is carbon fiber. I think if I painted the lines a better color they would look even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Best line for rigging-img_2494.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Here's a pic of my 1:250 scale Spray. I have used a mix of carbon fiber and 2 pound Stren fishing line (As I mentioned in the previous post). The fishing line is colored black with a sharpie. The shrouds and stays are the fishing line, and most of the rest is carbon fiber. I think if I painted the lines a better color they would look even better.
Looks good. One of these days I may try rigging with thin copper wire.as I have lots of that stripped fron various electronic sources.